Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

E12345
Resolver II
Resolver II

Need two Dax measures (data samples and expected results provided)

Hi!
I need some help creating two dax measures that I will use as new columns in a Power BI Table Visual. 
Below are the specifications as well as data samples and color coded resut prototypes. 

Sample Table With Three Columns

Ticket        Class_ID        Pass_Fail    
1123Passed
2333Passed
3232Passed
44Passed
5333Passed
6123Passed
7333Failed
8232Passed
9232Passed
104Failed

Dax1.

What I need is to categorize all the Passed Tickets that either have a unique (orphaned) Class_ID and those that have more than one Class ID. Below is an example with the new clumns added called "Category (DAX1)".

I need a Measure (but not a calculated column, because I work off direct query), that would exclude Failed Tickets and would categorise the passed ones into those with Multiple (shared) Class_ID and those with Unique Class ID:

Below is a screenshot of the resulting prototype for Dax1: (New Column: Category (Dax1). 

E12345_0-1714804123037.png

Dax2.

Another Matrix I need is a way of showing how many tickets are there per each class ID. 
I am assuming some sort of Dax is needed that uses Concatenatex function to build that measure. 

Below is the prototype of the resulting table visual I need (again, failed Tickets must be excluded)
Dax2 is the neasure I need for "Tickets List (Dax2)" (New Column in Table Visual that would be a result of Dax2 measure).

E12345_3-1714150603746.png

Thank You so much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you so much! (OMG Greg Deckler replied to me - I am so star struck right now! I watch your videos on youtube and was about to purchase your CookBook! You are awesome!)
Your solution worked well for Dax1 (I will use this technique from now on!) and your solution for Dax2 had to be wrapped in "calculate" to work.
The updated solution for Dax2 is:

Dax Comma Separated Ticket List Per Class ID =
VAR SelectedClassID = SELECTEDVALUE('MY_TABLE'[Class_ID])
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        CONCATENATEX (
            FILTER (
                'MY_TABLE',
                'MY_TABLE'[Pass_Fail] = "Passed" &&
                'MY_TABLE'[Class_ID] = SelectedClassID
            ),
            'MY_TABLE'[Ticket],
            ", "
        ),
        ALL('MY_TABLE'[Ticket]), 
        'MY_TABLE'[Pass_Fail] = "Passed" 
    )

Again, thank you so much for a super quick response, I appreciate it very much.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@E12345 OK, second one should be:

Tickets List (Dax 2) = CONCATENATEX( 'Table', [Ticket], ", " )

First one maybe:

Category (DAX1) =
  VAR __ClassID = MAX('Table'[Class_ID])
  VAR __Count = COUNTROWS( FILTER( ALL('Table'), [Class_ID] = __ClassID && [Pass_Fail] = "Passed" )
  VAR __Result = IF( __Count > 1, "Passed Ticket With Shared Class_ID", "Passed Ticket With Unique Class_ID" )
RETURN
  __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Is there another way to write the "DAX1" equivalent? I already posted that the solution is found, but when I used the same approach with my real data, the measure "hangs" when I add it to a table so I cannot use it (the table just freezes)... It totally works with dummy data though! So, I was wondering if some sort of window function can be implemented to get the same results (perhaps it will for for my real data as well). TY!  

Thank you so much! (OMG Greg Deckler replied to me - I am so star struck right now! I watch your videos on youtube and was about to purchase your CookBook! You are awesome!)
Your solution worked well for Dax1 (I will use this technique from now on!) and your solution for Dax2 had to be wrapped in "calculate" to work.
The updated solution for Dax2 is:

Dax Comma Separated Ticket List Per Class ID =
VAR SelectedClassID = SELECTEDVALUE('MY_TABLE'[Class_ID])
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        CONCATENATEX (
            FILTER (
                'MY_TABLE',
                'MY_TABLE'[Pass_Fail] = "Passed" &&
                'MY_TABLE'[Class_ID] = SelectedClassID
            ),
            'MY_TABLE'[Ticket],
            ", "
        ),
        ALL('MY_TABLE'[Ticket]), 
        'MY_TABLE'[Pass_Fail] = "Passed" 
    )

Again, thank you so much for a super quick response, I appreciate it very much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.