Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Yadidya
Regular Visitor

Need help with DAX

Hello !!!

I am pretty much new to Power BI. I am trying to build a Formula 1 visualization from this dataset:https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/rohanrao/formula-1-world-championship-1950-2020. I have created a measure to show who is the champion with the help of Chat GPT, to be honest. The measure is 

Champion = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(drivers[surname],1), TOPN(1, SUMMARIZE(results, drivers[surname], races[year], "Total_Points", [Total_Points]), [Total_Points], DESC)). It shows the champion name and if we use the year as a filter, we can get the list of champions for every year (attachment). Now I want to visualize in a bar chart how many times a driver became a champion. Hamilton 7 times, Schumacher 7, so on ..

Kindly help

Pic1.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Yadidya 

@ToddChitt Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I was checking the forum posts and found your post. May I ask if your problem has been solved? If not yet, I have an idea.

If the measure you provided outputs the desired result, then please try it:

Create a measure.

count champion = 
var currentChampion = [champion]
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS('Table'), 
    FILTER(
        ALL('Table'), 
        'Table'[champion] = currentChampion
    )
)

Here is the result.

vnuocmsft_0-1714540874445.png

I've attached a simple demo.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Yadidya 

@ToddChitt Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I was checking the forum posts and found your post. May I ask if your problem has been solved? If not yet, I have an idea.

If the measure you provided outputs the desired result, then please try it:

Create a measure.

count champion = 
var currentChampion = [champion]
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS('Table'), 
    FILTER(
        ALL('Table'), 
        'Table'[champion] = currentChampion
    )
)

Here is the result.

vnuocmsft_0-1714540874445.png

I've attached a simple demo.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Can you just take some screen shots of actual data (not the model view) of the tables involved?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

@ToddChitt Thanks for the reply. I am attaching the screenshots of the tables.  

drivers_table.pngresults_table.pngraces_table.png

Yadidya
Regular Visitor

@ToddChitt my data source is from this link https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/rohanrao/formula-1-world-championship-1950-2020. The CHampion measure is Champion = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(drivers[surname],1), TOPN(1SUMMARIZE(resultsdrivers[surname]races[year]"Total_Points"[Total_Points]), [Total_Points]DESC)).

Pic2.png

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

You don't need DAX for that. Simply build a  COLUMN chart, add Driver Name (Champion) on the X axis and COUNT(Year) on the Y axis. Note that when you add [Year], because it is numeric, it may want to summarize it. You need to switch the aggregation from SUM to COUNT.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

@ToddChitt When attempting to add the 'Champion' measure to the X-axis of a column chart, it is not being accepted, even when dragging and dropping. 

Maybe go back and ask Chat GPT what went wrong? 🙂

Can you show us an example of your source data BEFORE Chat GPT did anything to it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.