Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Neeraj_I

Need Assistance with Calculating Cumulative Backlog in Power BI

Hello Power BI Community,

I'm currently working on a project where I need to calculate the cumulative backlog of active tickets over time based on the data provided below:
Sample table

Number Created Closed Active?

INC0012024-01-05NULLYES
INC0022024-01-102024-01-20NO
INC0032024-02-15NULLYES
INC0042024-03-08NULLYES
INC0052024-04-202024-04-25NO
INC0062024-05-12NULLYES
INC0072024-06-25NULLYES
INC0082024-07-02NULLYES
INC0092024-08-182024-08-20NO
INC0102024-09-09NULLYES
INC0112024-10-24NULLYES
INC0122024-11-05NULLYES
INC0132024-12-142024-12-20NO
INC0142025-01-29NULLYES
INC0152025-02-10NULLYES

I also have a separate Date table for the year 2024, which is connected to the date column in the above table.

Neeraj_I_0-1711955490552.png

Currently, the visualization simply subtracts the 'Created' vs 'Closed' incidents for each month and displays the active backlog for that month only. However, I need to calculate the cumulative active backlog for each month, including all previous months. Essentially, the cumulative backlog should add up month by month.

I'm encountering some challenges in implementing this calculation in Power BI. Can anyone provide guidance on how to approach this problem? Any assistance or suggestions on the DAX measures or calculations needed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Neeraj_I ,

Please create a calculated colunm first:

YearMonthSort = 'Date'[Year]*12+'Date'[Month Number]

and then please create a new measure:

Active = SUMX(FILTER('Date','Date'[YearMonthSort]<=MIN('Date'[YearMonthSort])),[Created]-[Closed])

Please check the pbix file.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly--How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum--China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Based on the sample table that you have shared, show the expected result very clearly in a simple Table format.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Neeraj_I ,

Please create a calculated colunm first:

YearMonthSort = 'Date'[Year]*12+'Date'[Month Number]

and then please create a new measure:

Active = SUMX(FILTER('Date','Date'[YearMonthSort]<=MIN('Date'[YearMonthSort])),[Created]-[Closed])

Please check the pbix file.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly--How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum--China Power BI User Group

MNedix
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Have you tried creating a measure like:

Cummulative Log = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Number]),'Table'[Active?]="Yes")

If this solved your problem then please mark it as the solution so others could see it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.