Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mbielby
Helper I
Helper I

Moving 2 reports that share a dataset to a new workspace

I have a report move issue and need some advice. I have built a report ( report A) in workspace A, I have then built a second report ( report B) that connects to the same PBI dataset ( Dataset A) .   We usually use copies of datasets, this is the first time I've tried using 2 reports from the same dataset.  I need to move both reports to a different workspace. I can republish Report A into Workspace B via pbix file, and I can see a copy of Dataset A now also exists in Workspace B, but I'm struggling to then republish report B into Workspace B. I can do the copy to new workspace via the copy report fuctionality in the service, but the resultant report B in Workspace B cannot be then exported to pbix, which is important for us in maintaining the report. I can see Report B is still connecting to Workspace A Dataset ( via lineage)  I don't seem to be able to change the data source for Report B in desktop from Workspace A dataset  to Workspace B dataset  . How can I get both reports publish in the new workspace, connecting to the one dataset, and be able to work wih them in .pbix format.  All advice appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your response v-jingzhang.  This did not solve the issues.  Report B in my scenario was a live connection to Dataset A in Workspace A.   When I open this copied report in Workspace B, the Data Source Settings option does notallow for any change of source,   I assume this is because it is a live connection.     I won't mark this response as accepted.   I have since redeveloped both reports , each now with its own copy of the dataset, thus removing the Live connection dependency , of which I found to be problematic. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mbielby , Not very clear to me. Check if this can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bA737rur_M

Thanks for the reply Amit.   I tried the approach from the video, via the copy report fuctionality in the service, but the resultant report B in Workspace B cannot be then exported to pbix.  The 'downlaod to pbix' is greyed out.   I have a copy of the pbix file from when it was published in the first workspace, but it will not let me change data sources to a new workspace as it is using a shared dataset. 

Hi @mbielby 

Based on my test, I am able to change the data source to a new dataset in another workspace. When you open your copy of Report B in Desktop and click the drop-down arrow beside Transform Data, you will see "Data source settings" in black and it is able to be changed. You can change it to Workspace B dataset.

112504.jpg

For the copied report B in Workspace B cannot be exported to pbix issue, it is because the limitations of Exporting to PBIX file function. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#considerations-and-t...)

112505.jpg

Hope this helps.

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Thank you for your response v-jingzhang.  This did not solve the issues.  Report B in my scenario was a live connection to Dataset A in Workspace A.   When I open this copied report in Workspace B, the Data Source Settings option does notallow for any change of source,   I assume this is because it is a live connection.     I won't mark this response as accepted.   I have since redeveloped both reports , each now with its own copy of the dataset, thus removing the Live connection dependency , of which I found to be problematic. 

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I mean first downloading the Report B pbix from Workspace A and then opening it in Power BI Desktop to change the data source settings to the new dataset in Workspace B. Could you kindly let me know if this is effective at your side? Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Jing

Thanks for the reply Jing.   After downloading Report B, I cannot see an option to change the data source form within the desktop.  Note, this is a live connection Datasource.  If I select Transform Data -> the only option available is "Select a dataset to create a report".   This doesn't seem to provide the ability to change the existing data set. 

Thanks for your feedback. In the "Select a dataset to create a report" window, you can select the new dataset and click "Create" button to replace the old dataset. Wait a while and the report will get refreshed with the new data. Of course these two datasets should have the same schema. Please have a try. Thanks.

112603.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.