Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ciken
Resolver I
Resolver I

Moved data to new location / keep SQL data without constant refresh

Hey PBI community,

Recently our company switched ecomm platforms from Woo Commerce (mySQL server) to Big Commerce. I do not want to lose all of our historical data from the SQL server, but want to now run reports on my new pipleline through Salesforce. Is there a way to keep all of the data from SQL without every refresh calling back to it and refreshing 400,000 lines of data? Should I just move it all into a static excel spreadsheet? 

Any help you can provide would be amazing!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

You can create data flow and use incremental refresh.

Incremental refresh only needs to load all data at the first refresh.In subsequent refreshes, only the latest data within the date range will be refreshed.There is no need to completely refresh the entire dataset with each refresh operation.

In addition, you have to store the historical data somewhere.https://visualbi.com/blogs/microsoft/powerbi/historical-data-preservation-using-power-bi-dataflow/ 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

You can create data flow and use incremental refresh.

Incremental refresh only needs to load all data at the first refresh.In subsequent refreshes, only the latest data within the date range will be refreshed.There is no need to completely refresh the entire dataset with each refresh operation.

In addition, you have to store the historical data somewhere.https://visualbi.com/blogs/microsoft/powerbi/historical-data-preservation-using-power-bi-dataflow/ 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ciken , better to keep historical data in some excel or database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.