Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ryan_telstra
Regular Visitor

Merge vs Relationship

Hello PBI community!

I have two tables, Table A is an inventory table with a column for IP address and Network name.

The Table B contains a column for IP address, CVE number and Severity. Table A contains a list of devices in the network. Table B contains a list of CVEs per devices, where 1 device can have multiple CVEs. Not every device in Table A will have a CVE.

I am trying to create a datamodel to use with reports based on data from both tables. My initial approach was to use Table A as Dimension table and Table B as a Fact table and create a One-many Relationship. I also create 2 other dimension tables with CVE and Severity data.

I want to summarize the data in Table B using 3 x  Dimension tables of IP address, CVE and Severity.

Not every single device in Table A will have a corresponding record in Table B. In my reports, I filter out any device with out a CVE record in Table B. It seems to work however, when creating measures, I now have to add filters for me to see the correct data (filter out blank CVEs).

My question is should I Merged Table A and Table B using the IP Address as the Primary key to create a new fact Table with only the devices which contain CVEs and then create relationships to the 3 dimension tables?

I hope my question and explanation makes sense, any guidance on this use case or when to use Merge vs Joins and Filters would be great!

Thank you! R

2 REPLIES 2
turbofred69
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I've facing the same questions. Can anyone summarize  the Pros and Cons of both approaches:

- Merge in M-query

- Use of a relationship to show values of a table B columns matching  the lines of table A?

Thanks in advance

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ryan_telstra ,

If i understand you correctly, you can use Query Editor->Merge Queries as New and Left outer join to combine your tables. Please see the below screenshot:

1.PNG

Measure is also a choice and you can use filter() function or If() function to filter what you want.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.