Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbbozzuto
Advocate II
Advocate II

Measure name still appearing in .pbip JSON

Hi - we are using the "Power BI Project (.pbip) save option" preview feature to convert our reports into JSON (great must have feature to enable sharing/collaboration/automation on report visualization building).

However, we have noticed that when we replace a measure in a visual component with a new measure, the old measure name is still appearing in the JSON.

For example, we have a Matrix visual in a report and it is displaying "[Old_Measure]"; when we replace it with a separate "[New_Measure]" and completely remove "[Old_Measure]" from the Power BI service Dataset the report is connected to, the underlying JSON metadata is still showing "[Old_Measure]".

Has anyone seen this or know what may be causing this?

The .pbip JSON feature is not designed as we would have expected - it is one giant JSON and it is hard to read, but more critically, that creates challenges for git collaboration and increases risk of merge conflicts.  We expected that it would be set up as JSON files inside a folder directory tree, similar to how Dataset model definitions are set up when deploying through XMLA endpoint/Tabular Editor.

Ideal folder structure (with associated JSON configurations at each level):

Report => Page => Visual/Component

4 REPLIES 4
RuiRomanoMS
Employee
Employee

Can you ellaborate if you are seeing the old measure in report.json or the model.bim? How did you changed the measure name, using Power BI Desktop with dataset and report opened?

> The .pbip JSON feature is not designed as we would have expected 

We are working to improve this. Don't have a timeline to share at this point, but I can tell its a big priority for us.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @mbbozzuto ,

I have tried and simulate your steps and was not abble to replicate the result, when I replace one measure by other and remove it from the report on the JSON file the old measure does not show anymore.

Have you refresh the dataset on your report after deleting the measure?

Try to place the question on the issues part of the forum, someone in the dev team may get in touch.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi, i had the same exact issue with a measure used on a Matrix. My CI/CD pipepline flaged it as a mis-match between Measures in the report layer and dataset layer. This is an issue that has to looked at.... In my case I deleted the measure saved the pbix, I then recreated the measure saved again the pbix and then saved it as pbip.

Thanks @Stefanos_Ch, I'm "glad" that someone else is experiencing the same issue to corroborate it.  Agreed that this is something that needs to be looked at and fixed by Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.