Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bcobrien1977
Helper IV
Helper IV

Cumulative Unfinished Projects

Hi,

I need both a bar graph and the underlying details (in a table) to show projects when they started until they finish, carrying over unfinished projects into the next quarter.

Basically the data looks at the original status, the new status and reflects the status until something changes.  I can figure out a measure but cannot seem to generate  a table that will give me projects until they reach done.  I am assuming that we are still in Q3 2023.  Can anyone please help me out? Thanks 

ProjectFiscal Year Quarter StartFiscal Year Quarter CompletedStatusNew Status
A2022 Q22022 Q4In ProgressDone
B2022 Q3 Not Started 

Results Table    
ProjectFiscal Year QuarterStatus  
A2022 Q2Progress  
A2022 Q3Progress  
A2022 Q4Done  
B2022 Q3Not Started  
B2022 Q4Not Started  
B2023 Q1Not Started  
B2023 Q2Not Started  

15 REPLIES 15
bcobrien1977
Helper IV
Helper IV

Okay, I originally tried to do two queries (1 a max per quarter per project and 1 per data and then tried to filter out only the matches. I am still am left with the original issue of how to carry over the unfinished projects. 

The Filter would just give you the active projects in a quarter so I don't see how that really complicates things but if I didn't give the option to filter, how would you approach it? 

bcobrien1977
Helper IV
Helper IV

This is amazing. Thanks you!  The final add is to get a count and sum of count if the value is populated. I cannot get the has one filter to work with these relationships.

Thanks

Brendan

what would the expected result look like?

Fiscal Year QuarterProjectStatusCount
2022Q1A 0
2022Q1B 0
2022Q2AIn Progress1
2022Q2B 0
2022Q3AIn Progress1
2022Q3BNot Started1
2022Q4ADone1
2022Q4BNot Started1
2023Q1A 0
2023Q1BNot Started1
2023Q2A 0
2023Q2BNot Started1
2023Q3A 0
2023Q3BNot Started1
2023Q4A 0
2023Q4BNot Started1
Total  9

lbendlin_0-1695083399994.png

I love this solution but if I try to graph this measure, I get a different result. I am hoping again to have the max status per project per quarter and I get multiple values here because of the sumx.  The table looks just great but definitely would need to adjust to see this more visually?

Any thoughts.

bcobrien1977_0-1695151037835.png

Thanks

That is a very different question and requires you to know all possible statuses (stati?) beforehand.

By the way, 

the max status per project per quarter

is again a very different question. You would need to indicate what "max"  means in your context.

The statuses are the same: Done, In Progress, Not Started.

I apologize as I thought it would solve both.  

Basically if i added a third item C that changed statuses in the quarter, I would pull done for that project and quarter.

Both the table and graph would only show a max of 1 per project per quarter.  You would take Done if Done, In Progress if applicable and otherwise not started.  Once the project is done, it obviously would not continue and would be blank (same if the project first appears after the quarter)

Basically if i added a third item C that changed statuses in the quarter, I would pull done for that project and quarter.

A2022Q2In Progress
A2022Q4Done
B2022Q3Not Started
C2022Q3Not Started
C2022Q3Done

ResultsTableProject  
  ABC
 2022Q2In Progress  
 2022Q3In ProgressNot StartedDone
 2022Q4DoneNot Started 

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Now we are moving into "shouldn't that rather be a calculated column?"  territory.  Are any of the statuses influenced by user interaction with the report?

I would provide the user the ability to filter on Project or Quarter using slicers.

I originally tried to do it using calculated columns but figured there might be a better solution for a large (and growing data set).

I couldn't simultaneously find the max per project per quarter and get the unfinished projects to continue  until done. 

the way I read your questions/intentions seems to require a materialization of project status per quarter - which is easiest done either in Power Query or as a calculated table  in DAX. Let's say you wanted to give the user the option to select specific date ranges - that would have an impact on the "max"  status in a quarter. But if they always only can select quarters to look at then the materialization would be sufficient.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Please find attached the PBI file.

Hope this helps.

Ashish_Mathur_0-1694917309135.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your source data is not in a usable format.  Should be more like

Project Fiscal Year Quarter Status
A 2022Q2 In Progress
A 2022Q4 Done
B 2022Q3 Not Started

Once you have that you can use a disconnected table with your quarters and for each quarter calculate the latest recorded status for each project.

Thanks, could you expand a bit more once I have those two tables? I just struggle with how to get the results in a table versus a simple bar graph. I really need the results table to show each quarter for each unfinished project. Thanks

lbendlin_0-1694902259756.png

see attached

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.