Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gsed99
Helper III
Helper III

Measure breaking with aggregation

Hello,

I am trying to apply a simple MAX calculation to a YYYYMM field, and I know the MAX value in the whole table is 201804.

When I create a measure to calculate MAX, I use this formula: =MAX('MarketingSnapshot'[DateStampMonth]).

Initially it works fine, and shows 201804, but when I add in more rows that drill down, it starts to show other values, and I want this to always show the MAX based on the whole table, not matter how deep I aggregate.

Is this possible to have it MAX over the whole 'MarketingSnapshot' table, instead of being influenced by each line?

I am using a Measure not a Column, and I could see this problem occuring if I used a Column.
Thanks,

Greg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try this:

MyMax = CALCULATE(MAX('MarketingSnapshot'[DateStampMonth]),ALL('MarketingSnapshot'))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

You cannot put a measure in a filter. See this post though on creating a calculated table with what you need then using that table value to be your filter.

Or, you could create a calculated column in your table using the function @Greg_Deckler gave as the column. Or create the value in Power Query as a caclulated column there and bring it into DAX that way.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try this:

MyMax = CALCULATE(MAX('MarketingSnapshot'[DateStampMonth]),ALL('MarketingSnapshot'))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you! This worked by itself, but do you know how I can put this in a Filter? I am getting the error saying too few arguments?

You cannot put a measure in a filter. See this post though on creating a calculated table with what you need then using that table value to be your filter.

Or, you could create a calculated column in your table using the function @Greg_Deckler gave as the column. Or create the value in Power Query as a caclulated column there and bring it into DAX that way.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Got it, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.