Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sampak88
Regular Visitor

Matrix displays the same category twice

Hi,

I am really struggling to understand this behaviour.

I have a source of 2 excel tables, one from each year. Both contain different set of questions, but some are matching. I have created a mapping table which is joined to both of them separately based on quesiton Id. Then all of them are appended into a new table. The mapping table I join to both of them contains a normalized question, that is the same for all.

Now, I am trying to dispaly the question values for different years.

I have a column called Year, Question_Joined, and index that lets me count.

Strangely I get matrix repeating the same quesiton twice... How is this possible if both joins, to both of the above tables were made from the same mapping table and I am displaying a single field there.

This is without even applying any counts, and then instead of aggregated results broken down by two different years, I get results that are displayed separately by each of the duplicated values. I want all to land under this single question...

sampak88_1-1637770763855.png

2018 and 2021 are just values from a single column, they are not separate measures

Thanks for your help!

7 REPLIES 7
pmay
Resolver I
Resolver I

I've come across the same problem today and managed to solve mine.  I know you never got a solution to yours, but my issue was the categories were ordered by different values.  So, if you've used "Sort by Column" for instance on your Question name, and you have different values for the ordering (on the same question), it will show the category multiple times for each order item.
Interestingly, when you make it a category you could drill down on, when you expand it, it will expand all categories of that name as if they were one.

Solved mine. Needed to update sort by column. thank you!!

Thanks for this, that helped me fix the same problem. 

My calculated column had been set to sort by another column, and all I had to do was make sure it was sorted by itself.

Not really sure why that would make it duplicate anyway, but it fixed the issue.

kboscar1
Frequent Visitor

This fixed my issue! There was a space after one of my fields so the column order was appearing twice. Thanks so much.

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sampak88 ,

Please check if the first Aware of... and the second Aware of... is the same, maybe there is a space in the end of the string. You can change  it into table visual and with one measure to count it rows. If the result is two rows will confirm my guess.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The two were exactly the same, I used a different tool and it worked fine there, not sure what caused it as I didn't try to explore it further.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. Paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.