Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mapping

Mapping zip code polygons with Arcgis

Hello everyone, 

I'm creating a territory map of the US using arcgis in power bi and using 5 digit zip codes to create the shapes. I'm aware of the zip code mapping limit, but for some reason when I add all the zip codes with their unique territories, it doesn't add all 20 territories to the "unique values" under layers, it only pulls in 9 and leaves the rest as "other."

If I filter by 2 of the territories in the layers, it'll give me those unique colors and areas, but if I filter by two that it didn't pick up in layers, those will all be grey. Now if I go in and change symbology to "Location (single symbol)" so they're all one color and then change it back to "types (unique symbols)" it'll give me 2 different colors, exactly what I want. I'm providing some picture examples below. 

I don't need 20 different colors, but I would like to be able to quickly flip to a couple/few different territories at once without having to do this symbology workaround and they need to be different colors. 

Is there someting I'm missing here? I'm pretty confident that the 10,000 zip code limit is the reason it's not picking up the other territories, but is there something that I can do to manually add the other territories to the to the layers?

Here I'm showing the inital results. I removed the names for privacy purposes, but left "other."

mapping_0-1651174501856.png

Here you can see that the lower portion of California is grey while Nevada and the upper portion of California are red and blue (colors forced with the symbology work around). 

mapping_1-1651175152588.png

this is where I changed it to "Location (single symbol)" and now all 3 territories are red. 

mapping_2-1651175265966.png

This is after I changed it back to "types (unique symbols)" Nevada and upper California are red and blue again while the lower portion of California is now green. This is exactly what I want it to look like without having to do this workaround. 

mapping_3-1651175368569.png

Any thoughts or ideas? Please let me know if this didn't make sense or if you need more clarity on my issue. 

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mapping ,

Please read the following documents. Hope these are helpful.

Apply symbology—ArcGIS Earth | Documentation

Prepare your data—ArcGIS for Power BI | Documentation

Best Regards,
Community Support Team Gao

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems with it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.