Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBI_hlpr1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Managing "dummies" in a data model

Hi there,

I have a typical sales star data model with two fact tables (one for Actual sales coming from the ERP and one for budget sales coming from a spreadsheet. I then have dimension tables (clients, products, etc.) also coming from the ERP.

I am trying to get rid of blanks originated by use of dummies in the budget sales fact tables. This happens as some lines do not contain a standard client or product code but just a generic "dummy" or similar text. Of course my dimension trables do not contain those dummy codes and are returning "blank" in the report slicers. Of course I cannot add the dummies to the dimension table as is resident in the ERP. Is there a way eventually to append the dummies descriptions to the related dimension table queries?

Hope to have been clear enough...

Thanks,

C.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PBI_hlpr1 

You can use Power Query to filter those "dummy" rows, then append that query to the original Dim table. Apply the change to Power BI Desktop. 

Filter by values in a column - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Append queries - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Thanks Ahmedx, the third link below is actually reflecting the situation I have. Unfortunately I cannot "sanitize" my data as the Dimension tables are coming from the ERP. Is there a way to add the missing product codes in the query for that dimension table?

Hi @PBI_hlpr1 

You can use Power Query to filter those "dummy" rows, then append that query to the original Dim table. Apply the change to Power BI Desktop. 

Filter by values in a column - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Append queries - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

Thanks Jing,, this sounds good and is very similar with what I have done in the meantime. I have created an excel file with all the dummy lines, create a related query in powerBI and them appended that quesry to the existing one. Just one question. The worksheet containing the dummy lines does necessarily need to have the exact data layout (field names) of the dim table to be appended to? I am asking as I am getting error of not allowed "nulls"

Hi @PBI_hlpr1 

With Append queries feature, Power Query performs the append operation based on the names of the column headers found on both tables, and not based on their relative position in the headers sections of their respective tables. The final table will have all columns from all tables appended. In the event that one table doesn't have columns found in another table, null values will appear in the corresponding column. This method accepts null values. 

vjingzhang_0-1672822880798.png

How did you append the queries currently? 

Best Regards,
Jing

Hi Jing,

I am actually using append queries but as the receiving table is one the one-side of a 1-to-many relation does not accept blanks... I had therefore to fill in the appended table all blanks with ' or 0.

But it's ok - now it works.

Thanks!!

C.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PBI_hlpr1 , Create a measure removing those account 

calculate([budget Measure], filter(budget,not budget[Client] in {"ANC", "DEF"}) )

or

calculate([budget Measure], not(isblank(budget[Client] ))  )

Thanks Amitchandak,

the below unfortunately is not helping as I do need that data in my model. I need instead a way to virtually "ADD" the missing codes to the dimension tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.