Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

yuka_pbi
Regular Visitor

Make YTD Value

Hey i have a transcantion data like this:

yuka_pbi_0-1709796316013.png

and master table month format like this:

yuka_pbi_1-1709796357291.png

Can i make value YTD when i dont have a date type column?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @yuka_pbi 

@PowerBigginer 's formula is DAX. You should use that in Power BI Desktop, not in Power Query Editor. Click "Close&Apply" and add a new column here

vjingzhanmsft_0-1709892050074.png

BTW, if you only have monthly data and the two tables are joined on Month_ID column, you can compute the YTD without adding the date column. Here is a measure sample:

YTD = CALCULATE(SUM(Revenue[Revenue]),ALLSELECTED(Revenue),Revenue[Month_ID]<=MAX('Date'[Month_ID]),'Date'[Year_ID]=MAX('Date'[Year_ID]))

vjingzhanmsft_1-1709893196283.png

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

Hi @yuka_pbi  You can try something like 

LY YTD = CALCULATE(SUM(FACT_REVENUE_SUMMARY[Revenue_Net])/1000, ALLSELECTED(LU_MONTH[Month_ID]), LU_MONTH[Month_ID]<=MAX(LU_MONTH[Month_ID])-12, LU_MONTH[Year_ID]= MAX(LU_MONTH[Year_ID])-1)

Regards,
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PowerBigginer
Helper II
Helper II

For Time Intelligence functions you should have date field 
to create date field with your month name column follow below dax 

DateColumn = DATEVALUE("01-" & 'YourTable'[Month] & "-" & 'YourTable'[Year])

for more time inteligence functions check out https://powertipstricks.blogspot.com/ blog
to create calendar dim table in your model check out
https://powertipstricks.blogspot.com/2024/01/create-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using.html blog

Hey, thanks for your replies.

But i got error like this

yuka_pbi_0-1709874932778.png

Hi @yuka_pbi 

@PowerBigginer 's formula is DAX. You should use that in Power BI Desktop, not in Power Query Editor. Click "Close&Apply" and add a new column here

vjingzhanmsft_0-1709892050074.png

BTW, if you only have monthly data and the two tables are joined on Month_ID column, you can compute the YTD without adding the date column. Here is a measure sample:

YTD = CALCULATE(SUM(Revenue[Revenue]),ALLSELECTED(Revenue),Revenue[Month_ID]<=MAX('Date'[Month_ID]),'Date'[Year_ID]=MAX('Date'[Year_ID]))

vjingzhanmsft_1-1709893196283.png

Best Regards,
Jing

Thanks a lot for your solution, thats work!!.
Anyway, how about if i want to make Last Year YTD?? I try with this dax and not work

LY YTD = VAR CurrentMonth = SELECTEDVALUE(LU_MONTH[Month_ID]) VAR LastMonth = CurrentMonth - 12 RETURN CALCULATE(SUM(FACT_REVENUE_SUMMARY[Revenue_Net])/1000, ALLSELECTED(LU_MONTH[Month_ID]), LU_MONTH[Month_ID]<=MAX(LU_MONTH[Month_ID]), LU_MONTH[Year_ID]= MAX(LU_MONTH[Year_ID])) 

Thanks before

Hi @yuka_pbi  You can try something like 

LY YTD = CALCULATE(SUM(FACT_REVENUE_SUMMARY[Revenue_Net])/1000, ALLSELECTED(LU_MONTH[Month_ID]), LU_MONTH[Month_ID]<=MAX(LU_MONTH[Month_ID])-12, LU_MONTH[Year_ID]= MAX(LU_MONTH[Year_ID])-1)

Regards,

Ahh, i see. actually i had a though, but idk to put the calculation (-12) where position lol.
thankyou so much, thats work on me 

Yes you are almost there. Additionally here is a blog that introduces the running total pattern. It may be helpful for you: Computing running totals in DAX - SQLBI

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.