Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PatrickBrom2702

Loop through table and use data from that table to create virtual tables

Hi all, 

I am in search for a solution for a challenge I have and I hope someone can help.

I am in a transition of rebuilding a big Qlikview report to power bi and the following is coming up.

In QV 140 subtables are merged into 1 big table. with a lot of variables, different column fills and multiple calculations and filters.

What is equal are the number of columns, and their headers, so they can be merged using the QV variant of union.

My challenge is to avoid rebuilding 140 tables, in order to merge them. Which I think is highly inefficient.

For now I have a total table where almost all data which needs to be reported is in. but now comes the challenge:

1. Next to that table I have a table with unique report nrs, various calculations and different column fills which can be different per report
  2. I want use the 2nd table to fill in the fields which can change from the total table
  3. I want to use virtual tables for this. 
  4. And as last, I want to loop through the 2nd table, so per unique nr a report is created, and append with the data in the virtual table.

I am sure this can be done, but my knowledge is not that far I can carry it out without help.

Can someone point me into the right direction which & how to use the appropriate measures, parameters, variables data & formula groups ,and so on?

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickBrom2702

Nope, unfortunaltelly not

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What's the data source for these 140 subtables?

Byt the way, you are appending them, not merging them. 

1 The data source is a table, build in SQL, and merged in Power BI with multiple other tables.

2 you are right, will amend acordingly

Can you UNION these tables in SQL?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.