Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

List.Distinct and List.Contains

Hello all,

I am attempting to filter a table (Table 1) based on values which are found in another table (Which has only unique values: Table2).

Table 1:

Episode #     Week#

Episode 1         5

Episode 2         5

Episode 3         6

Table 2:

WeeksToDate

Currently the source of Table 2 is manual (i.e. Entered via the " Enter Data" function on the PowerBi Query Editor) and I am using the following function on Table 1 to filter it.

=Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ( List.Contains( #"Table 2" [WeeksToDate], [Week#])))

This works great and I have no issues.

However, I would like to use the following function (or something similar) to get the week# dynamically (rather than entering manually each week) knowing that Table3[WeeksAired] will always have all the weeks I am interested in - in this case it would not have week 6 :

= List.Distinct(#"Table 3"[WeeksAired])

Table3:

WeeksAired

The above function gets the me the value I am intersted in without any issues and I get a table that is seemingly identical to Table2. My issue begins when I replace the reference of Table2 to Table 3 as the filter seems to never end. The process which will normally take ~10-15 seconds now seems to turn forever ( I have yet to see it finish). I was wondering what modificatiosn I could make to have both the dynamic updates as well as the"quick" filtering.

Note: Apologies if I missed any info/proper etiquette for posting in forums as this is my first post ever

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi@Anonymous 

Try with List.Buffer

Following steps after "Added Custom" step

#"Added Custom" = ..............................................
mylist=List.Buffer(List.Distinct(#"Table 3" [WeeksAired])),
Custom1 = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each List.Contains( mylist, [#"Week#"]))
in
Custom1

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi@Anonymous 

Try with List.Buffer

Following steps after "Added Custom" step

#"Added Custom" = ..............................................
mylist=List.Buffer(List.Distinct(#"Table 3" [WeeksAired])),
Custom1 = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each List.Contains( mylist, [#"Week#"]))
in
Custom1

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.