Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kp1
Frequent Visitor

Lingering filter item based on another filter

In Power BI Desktop, I have 2 filters in the filter pane. One is on page, the other one on all pages. Both filters are from the same table. One filter is on Season (Fall, Winter or Summer) and the other one is on Terms, which shows the last 5 terms linked to the selected season.

For example, If I select Fall in the season filter, the Terms filter shows Fall 2023, Fall 2022, Fall 2021, Fall 2020 and Fall 2019. I select Fall 2023, for example. Then, if I switch season and select Winter, I see the last 5 Winter terms, but also Fall 2023 that remains selected. Since Fall 2023 is not a Winter Term, no data is displayed in the different charts on my page. I can then select Winter 2023, for example. Fall 2023 disappears from the Term filter and now my charts display data from Winter 2023.

What could be the cause that Fall 2023 remains selected even if I switch the value in the season filter?

Here is the example (Fall is Automne and Winter is Hiver in french)

kp1_0-1708102134194.png

kp1_2-1708102340052.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @kp1 ,

That is how the filters behave. Filter items don't get unselected just because they don't exist in another set of rows based on the selection from another filter . You can clear that or unselect the lingering filter item. Alternatively, you may submit this as an idea at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kp1
Frequent Visitor

Hi @danextian 

Thank you for the information and will probably submit this idea.

Based on the need I explained in the post, do you think it might be possible to unselect the Term dynamically if I switch season by using a slicer for the Terms? Is there a way to change filter item selection dynamically in DAX based on the selection from a standard filter in the filter pane (which would be Season)?

I would prefer to use only 1 slicer for the Terms and not 2 slicers for Terms and Seasons.

Hi @kp1 

All slicers behave similarly. For instance, if you choose January and the date is set to the 31st, then switch to February, where the 31st doesn't exist, the connected visuals will show empty. To resolve this, you'll need to clear the filter on days first.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @kp1 ,

That is how the filters behave. Filter items don't get unselected just because they don't exist in another set of rows based on the selection from another filter . You can clear that or unselect the lingering filter item. Alternatively, you may submit this as an idea at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.