Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AncaZ
Frequent Visitor

Line/ area chart looks funny with several periods on the x axis

Hi there,

My line and area charts, with date hierarcy on the x axis, look funny when a longer period is selected. Like this:

AncaZ_0-1661343750262.png

Am I doing something wrong? How can I fix it.

Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
AncaZ
Frequent Visitor

Me again :). 

Here is another chart, with almost 3 years of monthly data. I want to see a line with how these percentages evolved, but here is what Power BI shows. Am I asking too much from this chart? Should the dates be formated in a particular way? It's date hierarcy and I don't have much control over how Power BI shows the axis labels.

AncaZ_0-1661422886286.png

Thanks for you help!

Hi, @AncaZ 

Not fully sure what is your question, can you elaborate a bit more?

Please provide a sample file to explain what you are trying to do.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi there, 

thank you for your reply. I am trying to make a chart that shows evolution of various kpi, such as sales. On the x axis there is a date hierarchy, and on the y axis I have 1 to 3 kpi. 

When I drill down to quarters or months, the chart doesn't show properly and my questions are:

- why?

- and how can I fix it?

If I stick to the data from just one year, the chart is shown normally, like this:

AncaZ_0-1663053099221.png

When I choose periods from two years, the chart starts to look wrong. This one shows data from Nov2021 to Aug 2022:

AncaZ_1-1663053226560.png

This isn't how a line chart should look.

The date hierarchy comes from a Calendar table, from a column fromatted as date, and the KPI come from other tables connected to the Calendar. I'm afraid I can't send the report file since it is linked with direct query to an internal data source and contains a lot of confidential data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.