Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JamesMoulton
Regular Visitor

Likert scale

Hello, very very new to PowerBI and I'm trying to analyse survey data based around likert scales (eg. strongly disagree-strongly agree). I can't stop PowerBI from aggregating the the amount of likert responses, instead of displaying what number of respondents selected each option on the scale it just displays how many responded to the question. I've tried changing the count to distinct and changing the data type to 'text' in Power Query Editor, so far no luck. Help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JamesMoulton 

Ritaf1983_0-1712332063250.png

It's important to note that if you're looking to identify trends against seniority, a cluster graph isn't the best tool for the job.
This is because you can only focus on one cluster at a time. Additionally, coloring each category a different color forces the reader to constantly compare it to the legend.

My personal recommendation would be to use a Small Multiple graph for each type of response by seniority. The graphs should be colored in the same color scheme, with the intensity of the color corresponding to the strength of the response (strong to weak or vice versa).

For example, the graph in the image

Ritaf1983_0-1712334821660.png

The pbix with both visuals is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@JamesMoulton 

Here's how you can do it:

1. Ensure Likert Scale is treated as Categorical Data:

• In Power Query Editor, ensure that the Likert scale column is loaded as text or categorical data type. If it's currently loaded as a numerical data type, change it to text.
    • Right-click on the column header in Power Query Editor, select "Change Type", and choose "Text".
  2. Use a Table Visualization:

• When you're visualizing the Likert scale responses, ensure that you're using a table visualization rather than a chart (such as a bar chart or column chart). This allows you to see each Likert option separately without aggregation.
  3. Ensure Data Model Is Correct:

• Check your data model to ensure that the Likert scale responses are not aggregated at the data model level. They should be treated as individual responses for each respondent.
  4. Check Visualization Settings:

• If you're using a chart visualization and it's aggregating the responses, ensure that the visualization settings are configured to display individual responses rather than aggregating them. For example, in a bar chart, you may need to set the aggregation function to "Don't summarize" or "Do not summarize" for the Likert scale column.

Hi @johnbasha33 

Thank you for your suggestions, I've followed 1,2, and 4 and still no luck. I'm a little confused by step 3, would you mind explaining how to go about checking this? Would this be within 'model view'?

Thank you!

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @JamesMoulton 

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Hello @Ritaf1983  I hope these will do, I've just taken a sample of the data from the survey I'm working on. Length of employment and familiarity with 'X'. I'm trying to use PowerBI to generate graphs similar to the one you can see in the excel file (though I know the likert is in the wrong order there). https://1drv.ms/x/c/a13f09568fd1d70e/EV4rSGi74B1BiebcJXHTX-sBXWOBTpb3cQ6Halr1-mOoUg?e=UEpaii

https://1drv.ms/u/c/a13f09568fd1d70e/EeSvnx_EZx9Egip4W7sWn5cBO4aDUKozDzx2hu_VmdxtRQ?e=TwTVvo

Hi @JamesMoulton 

Ritaf1983_0-1712332063250.png

It's important to note that if you're looking to identify trends against seniority, a cluster graph isn't the best tool for the job.
This is because you can only focus on one cluster at a time. Additionally, coloring each category a different color forces the reader to constantly compare it to the legend.

My personal recommendation would be to use a Small Multiple graph for each type of response by seniority. The graphs should be colored in the same color scheme, with the intensity of the color corresponding to the strength of the response (strong to weak or vice versa).

For example, the graph in the image

Ritaf1983_0-1712334821660.png

The pbix with both visuals is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.