Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

piecesofbread

Issue with publishing report

Hello everyone! 

Need a little bit of help please. 

I have a pro license assigned by the admin at my company. I just tried to publish my report, but got the error message: " The file is too large to be published. Power Bi supports files up to 1024 MB". 

I thought pro license allows 10GB of storage? 

Is that unrelated and I need to upgrade to premium? 

PS: I first started with a trial, which I cancelled. Yet when I log in in powerbi it displays my pro license, but it always shows me the message "upgrade to powerbi pro .....". 

Wondering if it is not recognising the pro license and could be the reason why it blocks? 

Any help appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @piecesofbread

@ToddChitt  @pallavi_r  Thank you for your reply!

Please allow me to provide some detail explanation:

Firstly, it's important to clarify the difference between storage capacity and the size limit for individual files. While Power BI Pro accounts indeed have a storage limit of 10GB per user, this is separate from the size limit imposed on individual Power BI Desktop files (.pbix) that you can publish to the Power BI service. The maximum size for a single dataset or report that you can publish with a Power BI Pro license is 1GB. This is likely the reason you encountered the "The file is too large to be published" error message.

For your second question:You cancel the Pro trial but it still shows that you have a Pro license. Sometimes, lingering data in your browser can cause discrepancies in what's displayed. Try clearing your browser's cache and then log back into Power BI.Once a Power BI Pro license cancels a trial, you can't request a trial again.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @piecesofbread

@ToddChitt  @pallavi_r  Thank you for your reply!

Please allow me to provide some detail explanation:

Firstly, it's important to clarify the difference between storage capacity and the size limit for individual files. While Power BI Pro accounts indeed have a storage limit of 10GB per user, this is separate from the size limit imposed on individual Power BI Desktop files (.pbix) that you can publish to the Power BI service. The maximum size for a single dataset or report that you can publish with a Power BI Pro license is 1GB. This is likely the reason you encountered the "The file is too large to be published" error message.

For your second question:You cancel the Pro trial but it still shows that you have a Pro license. Sometimes, lingering data in your browser can cause discrepancies in what's displayed. Try clearing your browser's cache and then log back into Power BI.Once a Power BI Pro license cancels a trial, you can't request a trial again.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

pallavi_r
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @piecesofbread , Hope you are using workspace assigned to premium capacity for power bi file size > 1 gb. Also ensure large dataset storage format is enabled in the workspace & dataset setting. Please refer https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-large-models

Thanks,

Pallavi

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

There is a difference between 10Gb of TOTAL storage, and the publish size of any one particular model.

Regarding the Trial/Pro license, try creating a workspace and assign others permissions in it.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.