Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

phchu1226
Helper IV
Helper IV

Issue on rename column dynamically

Hi all,

Refer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Auto-renaming-columns-based-on-value-in-another-table/m-p/7...

I am able to rename the column based on current date,

i.e today = 29/1,  week0 = 28/1 or before

week1 = 29/1 - 4/2

week2 =5/2 - 11/2

phchu1226_0-1643364483808.pngphchu1226_1-1643364715219.png

Everything is fine before moving to next day...

The renaming part is fine, the column name is renamed correctly but error occur in the "Values" tab as it cant find the columns after renaming..

phchu1226_2-1643364866211.png

Any suggestion for fixing this issue or other alternatives to achieve what I need? Thank you in advance!!

6 REPLIES 6
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @phchu1226 ,

you are using the column that’s being renamed, but in your Power BI model, you’ve never renamed it. For example, the original column name is “Passengers”, and you’ve never renamed it. Now it’s being renamed at the data source to “NumberOfPasssengers”. In this case, after the column has been renamed at source, your Power BI refresh will be successful, but some visualisations will fail to load.

To solve that, you have two options.

• The easy one would be to rename, in your Power BI model, the renamed-at-source field, to its original name. In the example above, this means renaming “NumberOfPasssengers” back to “Passengers”. If you do that, all visualisations and DAX calculations will become valid again.
  • The other option is to go over all invalid visualisations and DAX calculations, and edit them to use the new field name.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft,

I knew that I can rename back to the original column name to solve this issue..

However, what I want to do is to rename the column name based on the date,

e.g. today is 8/2, the column should be look like below:

phchu1226_2-1644291914894.png

Is it possible to do so?? Thanks.

@v-rongtiep-msft,

excuse me, is there any update?

Hi @phchu1226 ,

I have found a simuliar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

ow to rename column name as current Date dynamically? 

let Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwtFTSUTJVitUhgmOElWMB5BgaEMuzQOPEAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Year = _t, #"Value " = _t]), #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Value ", Int64.Type}}), #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type", { { "Year", let currentDateTime = DateTimeZone.LocalNow(), currentYear = Number.ToText( Date.Year( currentDateTime ) ), currentMonth = Date.MonthName( currentDateTime ) in currentYear & "-" & currentMonth } } ) in #"Renamed Columns"Best Regards

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@phchu1226 , Create a column in table and use

Switch( True(),

[Date] < today() -1 , "Week 0" ,

[Date] > today() , "Week " & quotient(datediff([Date], Today(), Day),7) +1

)

Hi @amitchandak,

I had tried this DAX, the result is not what I expected.

I just want to rename the column name based on date.

phchu1226_3-1644292497746.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.