Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

talex
Regular Visitor

Is Power BI stupid?

Hello,

I don`t get it. I have an Excel Sheet (.xlsx), data type is clearly currency and €, has 2 digits after decimal point and Excel works perfectly. Importing table in Power BI shows data type Whole Number, no digits, no currency... Evertyhing has to be done manually in Power BI again.

I mean both software tools are from Microsoft, and importing a simple currency value does not work??? Basic things I would say!

And problems with date values as well. Some date values work some not...Unbelievable...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @talex ,

You can change the data type of that column as Fixed Decimal Number in Power Query Editor, it will display as Currency type.

yingyinr_0-1659086983228.png

Or you can change the data type in model side: select the related field and set the data format as Currency...

yingyinr_4-1659087653716.png

Please review the following official documentation to get the details of data types in Power BI.

Data types in Power BI Desktop

Before that, please check if you already enabled the feature "Detect column types and headers for unstructured sources according to each file's setting"  in Options page(File->Options and Settings->Options)... The verison of my Power BI Desktop is 2.107.841.0...

AUTOMATICALLY DETECT DATA TYPES IN POWER BI

yingyinr_3-1659087570788.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
talex
Regular Visitor

Thanks a lot!👍

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @talex ,

You can change the data type of that column as Fixed Decimal Number in Power Query Editor, it will display as Currency type.

yingyinr_0-1659086983228.png

Or you can change the data type in model side: select the related field and set the data format as Currency...

yingyinr_4-1659087653716.png

Please review the following official documentation to get the details of data types in Power BI.

Data types in Power BI Desktop

Before that, please check if you already enabled the feature "Detect column types and headers for unstructured sources according to each file's setting"  in Options page(File->Options and Settings->Options)... The verison of my Power BI Desktop is 2.107.841.0...

AUTOMATICALLY DETECT DATA TYPES IN POWER BI

yingyinr_3-1659087570788.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.