Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Micgig
Frequent Visitor

'Input string was not in a correct format' when importing using MySQL database connector

Dear all,

hope you are well. Wish to thank you in advance for the help.

I have been trying to import a few tables from a database hosted on Alibaba cloud/AnalyticDB/MySQL instance, using the MySQL database connector.

Regardless of the selected tables, which look all fine to me, when importing I always face the captioned error message: 'Input string was not in a correct format'.

I have tried the same process importing in Tableau and it all works fine: been able to import any of the tables without issues.

Would any of you know how to solve this?

Thank you so much,

Michele

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Micgig 

Maybe it has something to do with the "Chengdu - Pmia" field in your table.

- + $ ( ) Display a literal character. To display a character other than one of those listed, precede it with a backslash () or enclose it in double quotation marks (" ").

The most important thing is that the "-" is for characters in numeric format. You can try replacing this string before connecting.

Please refer to the following document for character formatting requirements.

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-custom-format-strings 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Micgig , can you share a sample string you have used for the connection?

Try backslash and check

Alibaba cloud\AnalyticDB\MySQL instance

@amitchandak 

thanks for replying.

One table, for testing purposes, literally consists of the following data (only 1 row).

department_iddepartment_namets
23Chengdu - Pmia202122110301001

I don't see particular formatting reasons why Power BI couldn't load this single row.

Yes the path is correct Alibaba cloud\AnalyticDB\MySQL instance.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Hi, @Micgig 

Maybe it has something to do with the "Chengdu - Pmia" field in your table.

- + $ ( ) Display a literal character. To display a character other than one of those listed, precede it with a backslash () or enclose it in double quotation marks (" ").

The most important thing is that the "-" is for characters in numeric format. You can try replacing this string before connecting.

Please refer to the following document for character formatting requirements.

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-custom-format-strings 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.