Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

abde139
Frequent Visitor

Import query from Oracle based on the data from extarnal table

I am new to power BI. Sorry if my question may be trivial.

I have data imported from azure cloud which contains about 1 000 lignes.

Id_cloudscore

I also have data from Oracle database that contains about 100 000 000 lignes.

Id_oraclenameemailphone
1name1name1@mail.com0123456
2name2name2@mail.com0123457
3name3name3@mail.com

I am trying to join the two tables based on ID in power BI. However, using the import query to import 100M lignes from oracle is too heavy and taking too much time, since we want only 1 000 data from it. And I could not find a way for the selected query to only include the ID in the external table ( cloud table).

Is there any way to select only selected ID from oracle database that much the ID in the cloud table already imported.

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

4 REPLIES 4
mh2587
Super User
Super User

1. Load both Data Sources:

• Load the data from your Azure Cloud source.
    • Load the data from your Oracle database source.
  2. Filter the Oracle Data:

• In Power Query, apply a filter to the Oracle data source to only include the rows with IDs that match the ones in your Azure Cloud table. You can use the "Filter Rows" transformation to achieve this.
  3. Merge the Tables:

• After filtering the Oracle data, you can merge or join the two tables in Power Query using the "Merge Queries" option. Here's how:

a. Select your Azure Cloud table in the Power Query window.

b. In the "Home" tab, click on "Merge Queries."

c. Choose the Oracle data source as the second table to merge.

d. Specify the join condition, which is matching the "ID_cloud" column from the Azure Cloud table with the filtered "ID" column from the Oracle table.

e. Select the type of join you want (e.g., Inner Join, Left Outer Join, etc.).

f. Click "OK" to perform the merge.

• This will create a new table in Power Query that combines data from both sources based on the specified join condition.

4. Expand the Merged Table:

• After merging the tables, you may need to expand the columns from the Oracle table that you want to include in your final dataset. Select the columns you want to keep and click "OK."
  5. Load the Merged Data:

• Once you have the merged and expanded table, you can load it into your Power BI model.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

Thanks @mh2587  for your efforts and detailed answer. I just have a concern with the 2nd step: "Filter the Oracle Data" . It indicates the use of the "Filter Rows" transformation, does it means I should select manually all the required ID from Cloud table and filter the Oracle table ?

I think first merge it and filter the data if any blanks occure

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

Thank you @mh2587, in fact to perform the merge, the data should be uploaded first and that is the problem, it is too heavy to upload 100M lignes and then perform the necessary treatement. Is there a way to upload just the necessary lignes ( using SQL query while importing  for example ) ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.