Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Image in Binary fields not available in reports for visuals

Hello Everyone!!

I have pictures in a binary data type of filed in my SQL DB.

When a connect to it, I can see all fiedls being loaded into my data model (including the binary field). See below (aka image file)

DataModel.PNG

However, when I try to select it (the binary field) from the report section, this field is not available. Just the ImageID comes up.

Report Screen.PNG

I tried editing my query in my data model and combining the bianry field, but not sure how it works and what I should do with that.

Any help, would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Ah, the old Binary image data dilemma. This one has gone back and forth with regards to being supported, not being supported in various flavors of PowerPivot, Power BI, etc.

I *believe* that as of today, Binary image data is not supported in Power BI. I base this on two things:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7340150-data-model-image-binary-s...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Images-binary-in-Power-BI-Desktop/td-p/1261

I also base this on the fact that I haven't gotten it to work but I do not currently have any Binary image files to test it with at the moment.

That being said, I am intrigued by the double arrow icon on the right of your ImageFile column heading, what happens when you click it?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I click the double arrow icon on the right of your ImageFile column heading, it takes me to this screen:

Combined Binary.png

I have no idea what would be that for ...  Smiley Sad

Thanks for your support.

Jose

Hmm, yes I seem to remember something like that from the last time I tried this. Not super helpful. Probably should vote for the Idea I suppose.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.