Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jboschee34
Frequent Visitor

IF with ISNUMBER and number of digit criteria

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at data in 3 different columns.  The product number I need could be in any column.  The columns currently have junk with things like cities and upc numbers in them where the product number is not.  The product numbers are also only 5-6 digits long.  Is there a way to write a ISNUMBER dax formula in a new columa to isolate the product number from the citiies and a count of the digits to make sure only ones with 5-6 digits come back as True?

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vanessafvg take it easy! we all here to assist.

@jboschee34 if for some reason you cannot use PQ (I would recommend that, my previous solution), you can use the following DAX expression, add it as a column

Product Number = 
VAR __Table = { MyProduct[Reference 1], MyProduct[Reference 2], MyProduct[Reference 3] } 
VAR __AddRules = ADDCOLUMNS ( __Table, "@Length", LEN ( [Value] ), "@IsNumber", NOT ISERROR ( CONVERT ( [Value], INTEGER ) ) )
RETURN
MAXX ( FILTER ( __AddRules , [@Length] IN { 5, 6 } && [@IsNumber] ), [Value] )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jboschee34 in PQ try to add another custom column and copy this expression. Change column names as per your table:

try List.RemoveItems(List.Transform({[Reference 1],[Reference 2],[Reference 3]},(x as any) => 
let
length = if x is null then null else Text.Length(x),
value = try Number.From(x) otherwise null, 
value1 = if length = 5 or length =6 then value else null 
in value1
),{null}){0} otherwise null

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jboschee34 what is the ask here? The product number can be any of these 3 columns with the original rules you defined. Is this what you are looking for?

@parry2k  Correct.  The product number can live in any of the 3 columns, but will never contains any letters or characters such as dashes.  Also, the product number will either be 5 or 6 digits long.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jboschee34 if you want a value instead of true/false, change to this:

if (try Number.FromText([Column1]) otherwise null) = null then null else if Text.Length([Column1]) = 5 or Text.Length([Column1]) = 6 then [Column1] else null

I got all null results

you will probably need to share some data to understand what it looks like.  hard to a code a solution without fully understanding the requirements.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Here's some example data @parry2k 

Reference 1Reference 2Reference 3
1570027-15154505 
FurnitureSO674111146761
FurnitureSO674111146761
FurnitureSO674111146761
FurnitureSO677170147904
FurnitureSO677170147904
FurnitureSO677170147904
FurnitureSO677170147904

Most of the time, the right data will be in the Reference 1 column but I provided some of the problem childs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vanessafvg good solution but how do you find out if this is a valid number, I think that is one of the rules along with length check. 

ABCDEF = 6 but not a product because it is not a number

123456 = 6, it is a number and meet the length criteria 

🙂

thanks parry, pure slip of the memory, i forgot to include that !

here is another version.. @parry2k  didn't mean to double post, i think we responded at the same time howver, didn't see your response before i responded.

a million ways (well not quite) to do this

productno =
VAR isno =
IF ( ISNUMBER ( field ), 1 )
VAR islen =
IF ( OR ( LEN ( [field] ) = 5, LEN ( [field] ) = 6 ), 1 )
RETURN
IF ( isno + islen = 2, field, BLANK () )

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg take it easy! we all here to assist.

@jboschee34 if for some reason you cannot use PQ (I would recommend that, my previous solution), you can use the following DAX expression, add it as a column

Product Number = 
VAR __Table = { MyProduct[Reference 1], MyProduct[Reference 2], MyProduct[Reference 3] } 
VAR __AddRules = ADDCOLUMNS ( __Table, "@Length", LEN ( [Value] ), "@IsNumber", NOT ISERROR ( CONVERT ( [Value], INTEGER ) ) )
RETURN
MAXX ( FILTER ( __AddRules , [@Length] IN { 5, 6 } && [@IsNumber] ), [Value] )

@parry2k Thanks!  I tried to get the PQ expression to work but kept getting null values.  I'm not very experienced in the PQ side of things.  The DAX expression worked perfectly though.  I need to definitely get more familiar with the PQ.  Thanks to you and @vanessafvg for all the help!

@parry2k  all easy here 🙂  just sayin... 

@jboschee34  did you attempt the  new solution i posted if you can't get the other to work?  but do think pushing the calculation into power query is a a better practice. 

ahhh nuts.  good point @parry2k.  could I put an IF(ISNUMBER  before it?

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

this might work?

productno =
IF ( OR ( LEN ( [field] ) = 5, LEN ( [field] ) = 6 ), field, BLANK () )

perfect!  Thank you!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jboschee34 in PQ add a column to mark it true or false

if (try Number.FromText([Column1]) otherwise null) = null then false else if Text.Length([Column1]) = 5 or Text.Length([Column1]) = 6 then true else false

I got all False results.  Do they need to start in a certain format?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.