Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

harrinho
Helper III
Helper III

IF Statement

Hi, 

I have the following table with measures from two different sources, however, joins on ID are fine and working.

My issue is that the if statement i have built doesn't return any result. My IF creteria as shown in the screenshot and the code below are:

If Soft Hours = Hard hours, return Hard hours

If Soft Hours = 0, return Hard hours

IF Soft Hours > Hard Hours, return Soft+Hard

If Soft Hours < Hard hours, return Hard hours. 

Both sources contain multiple rows for teh same pmfkey and the hours are rolled up to this key. 

Total Allocations = 
IF(CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours]))=CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),
    IF(CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours]))=0,CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),
        IF(CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours]))>CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours])+SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),
            IF(CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours]))<CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs]))))))

Literally I don't understand why Power BI cannot handle a dead simple sequence of criteria and return random results. The only case it works is when Soft = 0 and returns the Hard hours for ACHSA09. I chose "don't summarize" from the filters pane so as you can see the full rows deployement. 

Is there any other way to achieve this ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Interkoubess
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @harrinho,

I have a question to better understand your request.

Why 4 conditions because I only see 1 if ( If I am correct):

1. If Soft Hours > Hard Hours, return Soft+Hard else Hard hours

Please check this and let us know.

Ninter

Indeed, I just deployed it in detail to explain the context better 🙂 

I amended the query as per below 

Total Allocations = IF(CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours]))>CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours])+SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])),CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])))

But I get odd results again 

Hi @harrinho,

Ok fine but I want to understand now your table why do you have for example for PMF Key (ACHS09) 3 times 0 for Soft hours and 3 times 32 for hard hours?

So to sum up for this it will be 0 for soft hours and 96 for hard hours,  correct ?

I will change my formula to something like this while waiting for your inputs...

Total Allocations = var SH= CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY ALLOCATIONS'[Soft Hours]))
var HH= CALCULATE(SUM('CLARITY HARD ALLOC'[Hard_Hrs])) return IF(SH> HH, SH+HH, HH)

Ninter

Thanks @Interkoubess. It's because these hours are based on and driven by different projects. Another example below, hopefully shows more clear. 

Your calculation works fine but the problem is that because I summarize this to one line, when it comes to the total row, the calculation is not applied. For example here, I jsut want to roll it up to one line, getting rid of the Projects Column

Then I will have the following 

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 13.16.02.png

But in this case I'd like the Total Allocations to return 43+38=81 instead

Hi @harrinho,

By my tests with the formula from Interkoubess, I cannot reproduce your issue.

Capture.PNG

If it is convenient, could you share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the issue, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.