Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I know how to create calender table, but how do I make one that includes hours?

Hi,

So, I can create a calender table with the following formula:

Calender Table = CALENDAR(DATE(2006,01,01),DATE(year(now()),month(now()),day(now())))

That one starts at 1-1-2006, as just in my situation, I don't need any dates prior to that.

I use that calender table (with many columns added in), to calculate the number of working days between two events.  The formula I use is

Working Days Between = CALCULATE(SUM('Calender Table'[Workday]),datesbetween('Calender Table'[Date],'Completed Emails'[DateTimeReceived],'Completed Emails'[To Do Ordinal PST]))-1

Just as one example. Works great. 

But, what about number of working hours between two events?  Say in the above example, if something is finished in 2 hours, my result is just 0 (took 0 days).  I'd like to be more precies.

I'm thinking I'd just recreate my calender table, just this time have it progress by each hour, instead of each day.  But, how do I do that...? 

7 REPLIES 7
mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I found a solution that worked for me here:  It doesn't answer my original question, but in a different way, solves the problem I had (how to calcluate the working hours between two events)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculate-Date-and-Time-difference-considering-the-weekends...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You may find such a calendar table out there but not sure if that would be a good idea. I would instead modify your formual so that you test if the result is 0 days and then calculate your hours differently in that case.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Why do you think such a calender table would be a bad idea?

It seems a little odd to me to calculate by portion of a day, unless it's > 1 days, then switch to a less precise daily measurement - but, that is a really good idea that does work.  I went ahead and updated it that way for now using an IF statement.

Mainly because I haven't had enough time to think it through and see if that would be useful or not. In general, that's not how it is done though and I believe the reasoning would fall along the fact that it would be really large and the issue with matching/relationships.

In general, there is a key that calendar tables use like:

For July 2017:

7/1/2017

7/2/2017

7/3/2017

Obviously this matches up with the date from your fact table.

But, if you had hours, you would have something like:

7/1/2017 00:00:00

7/1/2017 01:00:00

7/1/2017 02:00:00

Now the issue I see in that is that you are generally never going to have a time that is exactly spot on the hour. There will almost always be minutes and seconds involved. So, the keys will never match. Not that that isn't solvable perhaps, but I question where it ends at that point.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

OK, to me I'd just:

Create this new calender table that goes by whole hours (if possible).  For my purposes, that would be exact enough.  That would make a calender table 24x longer than any equivalent "normal" calender table, but that's still not that long.

Add a second column that just extracts the date from the date/time column.  So say

Column A

Time in 1 hour Increments

Column B

=DATE(year(Column_A),month(Column_A), DAY(Column_A))

So then Column B can act as a "regular" calendar table for all other purposes. 

For my key on my data table, I'd add a new column that extracts just the time to the nearest hour MROUND(SourceDate, "1:00"), and connect that to Column A on the calender table.

For me - it'd end at that point (to the nearest hour), as that'd be close enough. 

I don't see why one could go by the minute though - now we're up to a table 1440x larger than a "regular" calender table.  For a 10 year table, that's a little over 5 million lines, but - that's nothing for DAX....

Anyway, as I said - thanks!  Jusing an IF statement (duh) definitly gets me closer (possibly close enough), and was a very easy change. 

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

When you create a relationship between two tables, the values have to match exactly. If you have a record with a datetime of 7/17/2017 4:15:36 that will not match any row in your date/time table. You would have to have a row for every second of every day.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If I were doing it down to the second, then yes I'd need a calender table with every second.

I would think though, that if one only wanted things to the nearest hour - then one only needs a calander table whole hours (so 'only' 24x as long as a standard calander table).

Then to make the match - add a column to the source data table, that converts the time to the nearest hour.  So say [sourcetime], add a column:  Nearest Hour = MROUND(sourcetime,"1:00").  That "Nearest Hour" column should match with this hypothetical calender table that includes hours.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.