Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

omkar_3888
Frequent Visitor

How we can user user input parameter in a column with DAX formula to change a date

Hello Users, I want to use user input parameter to calculate a past date from a date column which is already present in cloud dataset.

for example: user select 4 as a integer from user input slicer and if the cal_date column in dataset has date 23rd June 2022 then in calculated column the date should be 23rd Feb 2022. ie the calculated column should change the date by no of months selected by user.

i am using below formula in calculated column to get past date :- 

EDATE(CD[Cal_Date],(-1*5))
Negative number as we want a past date.
CD[Cal_Date] is a calculated date column from day, month & year column by concatenating.

This is what I want to replicate from a tableau dashboard.
but what I see in power BI user input parameter is only used in measure not in calculated column that's what I know might be wrong.
but I didn't find any dax formula in a measure to calculate date.

Please guide me.
3 REPLIES 3
omkar_3888
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.

but we cant create measure for date field right..?

i tried it but date is not possible in measure.

correct me if I am wrong.

HI @omkar_3888,

You can try to create a query parameter and turn on the 'enable load' option on the query editor side.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power B...
This parameter table will be loaded into the data model, then you can use your formula to extract this table values to calculate with your expression.
After these steps, you can modify the parameter and refresh the data model table to update the calculated column result based on the parameter table values.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @omkar_3888,

Current power bi does not support creating dynamic calculated column/table based on filter selections. I'd like to suggest you create a measure to interact with the 'what if' parameter slicer.

SELECTEDVALUE function - DAX | Microsoft Docs

Notice: the data level of power bi.

Database(external) -> query table(query, custom function, query parameters) -> data model table(table, calculate column/table) -> data view with virtual tables(measure, visual, filter, slicer)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.