Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JacobMotu
Frequent Visitor

How to use two measures for filtering without breaking each other

My pbix file.

I have two measures created.

2DataPointsSoilBlock = COUNTROWS(
  FILTER(
    SUMMARIZE(
      tblSoilDetail,
      tblSoilDetail[Block],
      tblSamples[Year]
    ),
    [Block] <> BLANK() && [Year] <> BLANK()
  )
)

SampleCurrentYear = IF(YEAR('tblSamples'[Date]) = YEAR(TODAY()), "Yes", "No")

I need to "pre-filter" Block slicer. The first measure if set "greater than 1" hides Blocks with less than 2 data points (data for only 1 calendar year). The second measure if set "yes" hides Blocks that has no data for current year. All works fine when I use one of these measures at a time, but they break each other if used together.

Is there any way of merging them or walkaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JacobMotu
Frequent Visitor

I don't know how to make both measures work at the same time but I have found another solution.

As a replacement for the second measure (checking for this year) I a new query in Query Editor merging tables tblSoilDetail and tblSamples, and kept there only Block from the first and the Date from the latter. Erased all empty rows, duplicates, and filtered Date column to be this year.
After that I created a measure below and used it to pre-filter Block slicer by setting the ControlSoilBlock is not blank.

ControlSoilBlock = var _tab = SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(FilterSoil), FilterSoil[Block])
return 
COUNTROWS(FILTER(tblSoilDetail, tblSoilDetail[Block] in _tab))

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JacobMotu
Frequent Visitor

I don't know how to make both measures work at the same time but I have found another solution.

As a replacement for the second measure (checking for this year) I a new query in Query Editor merging tables tblSoilDetail and tblSamples, and kept there only Block from the first and the Date from the latter. Erased all empty rows, duplicates, and filtered Date column to be this year.
After that I created a measure below and used it to pre-filter Block slicer by setting the ControlSoilBlock is not blank.

ControlSoilBlock = var _tab = SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(FilterSoil), FilterSoil[Block])
return 
COUNTROWS(FILTER(tblSoilDetail, tblSoilDetail[Block] in _tab))

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.