Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bluetail
Frequent Visitor

How to use drillthrough to expand into subcategories?

I have a table with subcodes in the columns such as 0.1,  0.1.1, 0.1.1.2   below:

grouped_table1.jpg

I also have the column, Currrent Spend, which contants the values which I want to show in my visualisation.

grouped_table2.jpg

I have put my subcode columns, Cat2, Cat3 and Cat4 into the drill through section in the Visualisations pane, however  I do not see the drill-through option when I right-click on one of my categories described here, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough.

grouped_table3.jpg

Can somebody explain to me how this drill-down option is meant to work? 

I was hoping to expand my Cat1 category into the Cat2 category, for example, to see the current spend for 0.1 (toxic/hazardous/contaminated materials ) and 0.2(major demolition works) and other subcategories.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@bluetail 

Drill through is meant to go from one page to another.  You want to add the Cat 2, Cat 3, and Cat 4 into the matrix and use drill down.

jdbuchanan71_0-1650749601515.png

Or you can right click on a bar and drill down.

jdbuchanan71_1-1650749666980.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

You have to add Cat2 - Cat4 to the axis of the chart:

jdbuchanan71_0-1650751074201.png

Updated sample file attached.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@bluetail 

Drill through is meant to go from one page to another.  You want to add the Cat 2, Cat 3, and Cat 4 into the matrix and use drill down.

jdbuchanan71_0-1650749601515.png

Or you can right click on a bar and drill down.

jdbuchanan71_1-1650749666980.png

I do not see the drill down option when I click on a bar.  I have just added a matrix under it, and added Cat1, Cat2 and Cat3 into Rows, Current spend into Values. 

here it is:

grouped_table4.jpg

yes, I can drill down through this matrix now yet I still do not have the drill down option when I click on one of the  bars.  I have created a link to my file, https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtS3DN4JGKISiCX5t-51djzyLAGj?e=YOxyBH

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.