Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Manuccia81
Regular Visitor

How to trasnform the data in a column: from email address to name and surname?

Requester column power bi.PNG

Is it possible to create a ne column starting from the existing (requester) keeping only the name and removing the @skf.com?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @Manuccia81 ,

You can achieve this easily in Power Query Editor. Follow the steps:

1. Duplicate the existing column.
  2. Replace "@skf.com" with spaces in your new column. You will end up with just firstname.lastname.
  3. Replace "." between the firstname and lastname with a single space character. You will end up with values like "firstname lastname" in your new column.
  4. For replacing you need to right click on your new column and a new window will appear, where you can follow Steps 2 and 3 in a order.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @Manuccia81 ,

You can achieve this easily in Power Query Editor. Follow the steps:

1. Duplicate the existing column.
  2. Replace "@skf.com" with spaces in your new column. You will end up with just firstname.lastname.
  3. Replace "." between the firstname and lastname with a single space character. You will end up with values like "firstname lastname" in your new column.
  4. For replacing you need to right click on your new column and a new window will appear, where you can follow Steps 2 and 3 in a order.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

But is it possible so in automatic way? I have more than 400 rows and the data source of my power BI is a online database.

Hi @Manuccia81 ,

There is not a direct/automatic way to get this transformation. And 400 rows seems to be a small dataset to me. Are you connecting the database in Power BI in DirectQuery mode?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Now all work fine thank for your preocedure. Have a great day

Hi @Manuccia81 ,

You have accepted wrong response as a solution. Always make sure to accept the right one as a solution. This just help others on the forum looking for the similar query.

I am marking the right response as a solution to this thread.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you. 😉😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.