Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lorentzt
Frequent Visitor

How to present result from two matrixes in a common matrix

I am new to Power BI and are working on moving my old Excel (power pivo) reports to Power BI. Most of that works well, but i have encountered a problem. 

I have a montly report of all active support tickets for a customer. (created the 1st in every month for a previous month)

I have a custom column that shows all tickets that was open the last month and it gives me the complete ticket list 🙂

On the front page i used to have a table given information on the status at mont start, end and new/closed tickets.frontpage1.PNG

In PowerBI i manages to get this split into two diferent queries by checking if a ticket was created last month or closed last month. As a ticket both has a created periode and a closed periode i dont see how i can use one column value to split between the rows in the presentation.

Created_Last_Month:False = Tickets at start of periode

Created_Last_month:True  = New tickets in periode

Closed_Last_Month: True  =  Closed tickets in periode

Closed_Last_Month: False = Open tickets at periode end.

Created last month.PNGClosed last month.PNG

In Power Pivo i solved this by creating two Power Pivo's and then assigned the presentations values by poiting to the diferent cells in the power pivo's.

Any ideas, sugestions is very welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
Lorentzt
Frequent Visitor

Searching the forum i found a post about using Measurement for sorting values and it looked like a possible solution. Sharing the solution and result below for others that may need it :).

I created a measurement using countrows and filter for each of:

Start, New, Closed, Remaining.

This gave me this promising result:

Frontpage2.PNG

So now i had a usable presentation, but i wanted type to be shown as columns so i moved 'Type" fra rows to columns but the result wasnt as wished:

Frontpage3.PNG

This problem was possible to fix by changing the Values parameter "Show on rows" to true.

Frontpage4.PNG

This looks good:

The only challenge now is how can i order the columns in my prefered order?

@Lorentzt create a new column for the sort order  so depending on what you order you want you can either create a calculated column with a switch statement or manually create it in power query - does that make sense?

then in your modelling table in power bi set the sort of that column by the column ie Capture.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.