Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to limit power query to last 12 months of data based on Date field

We have a data table from SAP for which we only ever want to use the last 12 months of data in Power BI. I was trying to create a custom flag column, with which I could then filter it to be = 1. I am trying the following formula:

= Table.AddColumn(dbo_ServiceOrder, "Flag in Data Range", each if [Create_Date] > Date.AddMonths(DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()),-12) then 1 else 0)

This returns no syntax errors, but when I look at my table, there is an error:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator < to types Date and DateTime.
Details:
    Operator=<
    Left=12/1/2016
    Right=7/27/2016 12:00:00 AM

Can anyone out there, please help? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The above works, but it is literal in that it is looking for previous N months. Therefore, if today is December, it will flag only dates in November and earlier for 12 months. I want data through yesterday, for the last year (or 365 days), so then I did this instead and it works for me:

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(dbo_ServiceOrder, "Custom", each if Date.IsInPreviousNDays(Date.AddMonths([Create_Date], 0), 365) then "1" else "0" ),

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DAX0110
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @Shelley, you just have to make the two sides' data type match up "exactly" (the M language is very picky): maybe like this: (removed DateTime.Date)

= Table.AddColumn(dbo_ServiceOrder, "Flag in Data Range", each if [Create_Date] > Date.AddMonths(DateTime.LocalNow(),-12) then 1 else 0)

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks for the idea. When I tried it, the refresh ran really, really slow, so I cancelled it and began trying other functions. I think I finally got it to work with this:

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(dbo_ServiceOrder, "Flag in Data Range", each if Date.IsInPreviousNMonths(Date.AddMonths([Create_Date], 0), 12) then "1" else "0" ),

This checks to see if the [Create_Date] field for the record is in the Previous 12 months from Today and if so, "1" otherwise "0" - once I ensured it was working properly, I was able to filter the column on "1"

Thanks again!

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The above works, but it is literal in that it is looking for previous N months. Therefore, if today is December, it will flag only dates in November and earlier for 12 months. I want data through yesterday, for the last year (or 365 days), so then I did this instead and it works for me:

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(dbo_ServiceOrder, "Custom", each if Date.IsInPreviousNDays(Date.AddMonths([Create_Date], 0), 365) then "1" else "0" ),

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.