Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

How to know that a table is a reference table?

Hello,

if I make many changes on a reference table, its still loading from the "original" one and the benefit to a duplicate is that I won't run two queries to the database, hence saving data transfer, since only the original one will load data and the reference table will get his updates from that original table. 

But if I already made many changes to that reference table....how can I see that its a reference table afterwards?

Best. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Phil,

thanks for the quick reply.

I was very surprised to hear that PowerBi cannot "research back" if it is a standalone dupicate or a reference which adapts to the changes in the original data. I find thats important to know, especially if its an old project and you don't know what you did back then. As far I know reference doesn't need to load data from the source, only from the original import which it refers to. Thats a big difference. 

So I dig deeper and found where the connection can be seen afterwards:

In PowerQuery there is the button "query dependancies" in Views.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Applicable88 

You can't tell unless you name the table something like Ref_xxxxx, or you could add a Description in the Query Properties that appears as a tooltip when you hover your mouse over the table name, or you check the Source step in PQ.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Phil,

thanks for the quick reply.

I was very surprised to hear that PowerBi cannot "research back" if it is a standalone dupicate or a reference which adapts to the changes in the original data. I find thats important to know, especially if its an old project and you don't know what you did back then. As far I know reference doesn't need to load data from the source, only from the original import which it refers to. Thats a big difference. 

So I dig deeper and found where the connection can be seen afterwards:

In PowerQuery there is the button "query dependancies" in Views.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.