Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ruidi1126

How to get line chart sorted by month?

I have selected to sort axis by month but why is March still showing before the other months? Any help is appreciated.

ruidi1126_0-1684359204363.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @ruidi1126 
It is necessary to define the sorting method through the data table in order for our visualizations to know how to sort the months chronologically.
In accordance with the month's number.
Please see the attached image.

Ritaf1983_0-1684373404842.png

Here is a link short video explaining how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFDasTzP9E
If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @ruidi1126 
It is necessary to define the sorting method through the data table in order for our visualizations to know how to sort the months chronologically.
In accordance with the month's number.
Please see the attached image.

Ritaf1983_0-1684373404842.png

Here is a link short video explaining how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFDasTzP9E
If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I followed your instruction but got the following error message. Do you know how to resolve it?

ruidi1126_1-1691611593141.png

Thanks,

Rui

Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @ruidi1126 ,

The reason here is, you have alphabetical ordering and the ordering is descending, which means instead of A-B-C it goes othe way around C-B-A. In your case M is then at the beginning.

Change the order in Ascending or even better, create a new column, where you have following logic:
January = 01
February = 02
March = 03

Etc.

Then select your Month column and use Sort By option in the settings of the column and use your new column for sorting by. With this set up, order will not be alphabetical but numerical.

In case you would struggle, let me know and I can provide some printscreens and examples.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.