Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

toosie
Frequent Visitor

How to get a value based on comparing dates from different tables

I have two tables where the relationship is many to many (the join is Account Number) and I am trying to create a measure doing the following:

From table1 - I want to get use the [TimeStamp] field and compare it to table 2 looking at two different date columns [CreatedOn] and [ClosedOn]

If [CreatedOn] <= [TimeStamp] <= [ClosedOn], I want to return the sum of [NetValue] from Table2. 

I have tried a few different formulas but cant seem to get it to read the dates properly - here is some sample data on the tables and what i am expecting for output:

Table 1:

AccountTimestampOverage
1237/1/23$3,000
1235/10/23$2,000
4565/1/22$5,000
7896/8/23$6,000

Table2

AccountCreatedOnCloseOnValue
1236/18/2312/30/23$5,000
4564/18/2212/30/22$2,000
4566/12/2312/30/23$5,000
7895/1/2312/30/23

$2,000

7896/1/2312/30/23

$3,000

The measure should give this output:

Table 1:

AccountTimestampOverageMeasure (Value from Table2 where timestamp inbetween dates)
1237/1/23$3,000$5,000
1235/10/23$2,0000
4565/1/22$5,000$2,000
7896/8/23$6,000$5,000

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @toosie ,

The reason why this measure can't be displayed on a monthly/yearly chart is because it is created based on a timestamp, which requires the year, month, and day to appear. You can try to have the timestamp appear on the x-axis instead of the month/year alone.

Or try to create a year/month column?

Column = var _year=YEAR(Table1[Timestamp])
var _month=MONTH(Table1[Timestamp])
var _1=IF(_month<10,0&_month,_month)
return _year&_1

vrongtiepmsft_0-1689814907252.png

How to get the value to update dynamically when filters are used on the whole page ?

You can enable the "Auto Refresh" feature in Power BI to update the value dynamically when filters are used on the whole page.

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You should ideally be writing a calculated column formula in Table1.  If you are OK with my approach, let me know.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @toosie ,

I have created a simple sample, please refer to my pbix file to see if it helps you.

First remove the relationship between the tables.

Then create a measure.

Measure =
VAR _1 =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table2[Value] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Table2 ),
            Table2[Account] = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Account] )
                && Table2[CreatedOn] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Timestamp] )
                && Table2[CloseOn] >= SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Timestamp] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( _1 <> BLANK (), _1, 0 )

vrongtiepmsft_0-1689730287342.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Rongtie - this definitely got me closer to what was needed but when I attempt to use this measure in a line graph that shows it by Month/Year and no account details, the value doesnt work; it only seems to show in the table view - is there a way to get this?

Also, is there a way to get the value to update dynamically when filters are used on the whole page?

Hi @toosie ,

The reason why this measure can't be displayed on a monthly/yearly chart is because it is created based on a timestamp, which requires the year, month, and day to appear. You can try to have the timestamp appear on the x-axis instead of the month/year alone.

Or try to create a year/month column?

Column = var _year=YEAR(Table1[Timestamp])
var _month=MONTH(Table1[Timestamp])
var _1=IF(_month<10,0&_month,_month)
return _year&_1

vrongtiepmsft_0-1689814907252.png

How to get the value to update dynamically when filters are used on the whole page ?

You can enable the "Auto Refresh" feature in Power BI to update the value dynamically when filters are used on the whole page.

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.