Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to filter another table based on current pivot context?

Hi all,

Table A(1 side) and Table B(many side) are linked through code identity key.  Now I would like to count rows on Table B based on some fields in Table A, for e.g. I would like to count how many rows are there in table B when B[property1] = A[Aproperty1] & B[property2] = A[Aproperty2]. It would be quite easy to write in calculated columns:

=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TableB),FILTER(ALL(TableB),AND(TableB[property1]=TableA[Aproperty1],TableB[property2]=TableA[Aproperty2])))

But in pivot table measure, with TableA[Aproperty1] and TableA[Aproperty2] ticked in rows, if the measure is defined like this:

=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TableB),ALLEXCEPT(TableA,Aproperty1,Aproperty2))

Table B will be filtered first based on table A on the code primary key, then perform the countrows. So if there are codes in TableB that are not shown in table A, those values will not be counted.

What if I want to include those values?  I have tried something like below but with no luckMan Frustrated

=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(TableB),CROSSFILTER(TableB[code],TableA[code],none))

So how can I translate the calculated column to measure? Or how can I ignore the relation filter in measure?

Your help would be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

>>What does this temp use for?

Temp is the current value on row content. Actual, when these function limit at row content level, I can use them to get current value.(max or other math functions used to get current number/date value, lastnonblank suitable with get text)

Detail description of formula:

1. Rows field property1 is from tableA, I can use lastnoblank function to get current value of row content;

2. Columns field is from tableB, I can use max function to get the current value of row content.

3. Based on above variables, I can filter the same records from all of tableB with the same property1 form tableA and the current property2 form tableB, then get the row count as the result.

Maybe above description is complex for understanding.Smiley Happy

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try to use belwo formula if it suitable for your requirement:

Cross filter direction: both.

Measure:
CountRow = var temp= LASTNONBLANK(Sheet2[property2],[property2]) Return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet2),FILTER(ALL(Sheet2),Sheet2[property1]=MAX(Sheet1[property1])&&Sheet2[property2]=temp))

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft

This works like a charm!Smiley Very Happy

But I do not quite understand this expression,

What does this temp mean?

How does the context filter?

Can you help elaborate a little bit more?

Thanks very much!!

Hi @Anonymous,

>>What does this temp use for?

Temp is the current value on row content. Actual, when these function limit at row content level, I can use them to get current value.(max or other math functions used to get current number/date value, lastnonblank suitable with get text)

Detail description of formula:

1. Rows field property1 is from tableA, I can use lastnoblank function to get current value of row content;

2. Columns field is from tableB, I can use max function to get the current value of row content.

3. Based on above variables, I can filter the same records from all of tableB with the same property1 form tableA and the current property2 form tableB, then get the row count as the result.

Maybe above description is complex for understanding.Smiley Happy

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it.

Thx very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.