Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

tvaishnav
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to create parameters in Power BI report builder with Power BI dataset is used as a data source?

I know basic DAX. Good enough to write basic measures. But I cannot really write full DAX queries like SQL query.

I have a Power BI dataset available in Power BI service. I need to create paginated report using that dataset. This requires DAX query. Per MS documentaion, I can use performance analyzer to grab DAX query and use that to create dataset. However, those won't include parameters. Is there a easy way to add parameters to DAX query? Or it is just better to use Query designer? 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

@amitchandak Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That link did help somewhat and eventually I found this link to Chris's blog: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/11/03/power-bi-report-builder-and-rscustomdaxfilter/

Looks like using DAX is way more complicated that I thought. If I have to choose between DAX and SQL for these reports, what should be a default choice?

I was inclining to DAX because I can resue the existng model. But that model gets all its data using SQL anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.