Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

matthewtjy
Helper I
Helper I

How to count number of yes/no from two separate columns in a table for pie chart?

WorkplaceDoes workplace have a water cooler?Does the workplace have a microwave?
AYesNo

B

CYesYes
DNoYes
E  
FNoNo
GYesNo
HNoNo
IYesYes
J  

So what I would like to achieve is have a pie chart visualisation that shows out of these 10 workplaces, how many have a "YES" in either having a water cooler or microwave.

Those workplaces without values were closed down.

So the pie chart should show 50% Yes (from A, C, D, G, I because they have "YES" in either columns) and 50% No (from B, E, F, H, J because they have "NO" in both columns/no values at all).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @matthewtjy ,

If there are many other columns like [Does workplace have a water cooler?]  or [Does the workplace have a microwave?] ,please kindly refer to @Tahreem24 's method by pivoting the original table.

Or if there are just the two columns, please add a column with "Yes" or "No" flag:

Yes or No = 
var _combine= COMBINEVALUES("," , [Does workplace have a water cooler?] ,[Does the workplace have a microwave?])
return IF(CONTAINSSTRING(_combine,"Yes"),"Yes","No")

Then create Pie visual:

Eyelyn9_0-1648535161022.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @matthewtjy ,

If there are many other columns like [Does workplace have a water cooler?]  or [Does the workplace have a microwave?] ,please kindly refer to @Tahreem24 's method by pivoting the original table.

Or if there are just the two columns, please add a column with "Yes" or "No" flag:

Yes or No = 
var _combine= COMBINEVALUES("," , [Does workplace have a water cooler?] ,[Does the workplace have a microwave?])
return IF(CONTAINSSTRING(_combine,"Yes"),"Yes","No")

Then create Pie visual:

Eyelyn9_0-1648535161022.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@matthewtjy try this:

Step1 : Go to power query editor and select Microwave and watercooler column then click on unpivot column under Transform tab.

Step 2: Close and Apply

Step 3: Create a measure like this:

Measure =  CALCULATE(count(WorkspaceTable[Workplace]),WorkspaceTable[Value]="Yes")
Step 4: Then take a pie chart and take this measure under values field and Attribute under Details field.

Capture.JPG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@matthewtjy , Create a table with Two values yes and no. Then join it with both columns. One join will be inactive, that you can activate using userelationship  Then you can have measure

Count(Table[Workplace]) +calculate(Count(Table[Workplace]) ,USERELATIONSHIP(dim[Yes/No],Table[Does the workplace have a microwave?]) )

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in...

Hi I'm sorry but how do i go about to create a table with Two values yes and no. Then join it with both columns?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.