Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kasti
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate in Power BI the %increase measure?

Hello, 

I have created a table as below and I would like to calculate % increase between "Current" and "LY Actuals" i.e. for Sales it will be 4% (52-50)/50. How can I code this? Thanks for help!

Example:

kasti_0-1681984175597.png

Here are the setting of this table, and the Sales & Orders are a calculated measures.

kasti_1-1681984229067.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cursed
Frequent Visitor

Apolgise had to repost as I made a mistake on the previous post, so the forumla should be:

Test_Measure =
Var LY_sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Enter_your_table_name[Sales]),FILTER(Enter_your_table_name,Enter_your_table_name[Short name] = "LY Actuals"))

Var Current_sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Enter_your_table_name[Sales]),FILTER(Enter_your_table_name,Enter_your_table_name[Short name] = "Current"))
Return
(Current_sales - LY_sales) / LY_sales

Which should look somthing like this when you format it as a mesaure:
cursed_1-1682000196662.png
 Below is screen grab of the results returned:
cursed_4-1682000498000.png

Please let me know if you have any further questions, I've created the forumla so it should just plug and play in to the Dashboard all you need to do is change the table name.

Please do let me know if you require furhter assitance 

Many Thanks

Ben

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kasti
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @cursed for the 2nd option. It worked very well! 🙂

cursed
Frequent Visitor

No worries at all, happy that I could help solve your problem 🙂 

kasti
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for suggestion. I don't have a column called "Last Year" and "This Year" but both are included in one column as "Scenario". As such I could not follow the formula above. How to refine it?

cursed
Frequent Visitor

Apolgise had to repost as I made a mistake on the previous post, so the forumla should be:

Test_Measure =
Var LY_sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Enter_your_table_name[Sales]),FILTER(Enter_your_table_name,Enter_your_table_name[Short name] = "LY Actuals"))

Var Current_sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Enter_your_table_name[Sales]),FILTER(Enter_your_table_name,Enter_your_table_name[Short name] = "Current"))
Return
(Current_sales - LY_sales) / LY_sales

Which should look somthing like this when you format it as a mesaure:
cursed_1-1682000196662.png
 Below is screen grab of the results returned:
cursed_4-1682000498000.png

Please let me know if you have any further questions, I've created the forumla so it should just plug and play in to the Dashboard all you need to do is change the table name.

Please do let me know if you require furhter assitance 

Many Thanks

Ben

cursed
Frequent Visitor

Hey,

So the forumla I would use to solve this problem is as follows:

% Increase = ( ( SUM('Table'[This Year]) - SUM('Table'[Last Year] ) ) / SUM('Table'[Last Year] ) )

*You might notice I haven't times it by 100 which is what would normaly do, this is because Powerbi has button you can press which will format the number as a percentage [See screenshot below]

cursed_3-1681995104255.png

You should end up with somthing like this:

cursed_2-1681995018442.png

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Many Thanks
Ben

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.