Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mdrammeh
Helper III
Helper III

How to add a blank cell when formula returns error or null in Power Query

Hello,

I have two calculated columns with different expressions in Power Query. I want to calculate the difference between the two columns and return a blank value where the formula returns an error message. 

The first column (% Change) is calculated by the difference of =  (Projected $ - Cost)/Projected

The second column used the result of the first column and subtracted it from 1. i.e. % Complete = 1-(% Change) value. 

This way when the result is displayed on my power PowerPivot table, the value in the cell remains blank instead of "NA#".Also, if there is a better way to do this calculation, please share your thoughts as well.Exhibit 1.PNGExhibit -2.PNG

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I do suggest you use DAX measures in Power BI Desktop  (or Excel if you are using Excel with powerpivot).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @mdrammeh

I think you should not use Power Query but Dax language to perform this kind of calculations.

And because it involves ratios, you should create DAX measures rather than calculated columns - otherwise you'll get wrong figures when analysing your percentages.

Why ? Because a/b + c/d + e/ f is NOT equal to (a + c + e) / (b+d+f)

You should always do "the ratios of the sum rather than the sum of the ratios" (Kimball).

So create these 2 measures:

[Pct Change] = 1 - Sum(Table[Cost]) / Sum (Table[Projected])

[Pct Complete] = 1 - [Pct Change]

Format them as % and use them in any graphs. These measures will automaticcaly adjust to filter context.

Your Pct calculations will be both correct and dynamic.

So are you suggesting I use DAX functions in Excel or Power BI instead of Power Query? Could you share an example from the Query editor? 

Yes, I do suggest you use DAX measures in Power BI Desktop  (or Excel if you are using Excel with powerpivot).

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.