Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Pivot or restructure data to create simple bar chart

Hi All, 

I have data in below format and I am struggling to create a simple bar chart where I can have month,Year on X axis and Region or Business unit on Y axis.  Any ideas on how I can restructure the data in Power BI.  I have month as columns and year on rows.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Anonymous

One way would be to make two copies of this table in Power Query.  Filter the first where the attribute column contains the text "-Qty" and filter the other where the attribute column contains the text "-Revenue".

Then you can merge the tables (horizontally) using a full outer join and match on the first three columns.  This should give you something pretty close to what you need. 🙂

Power Query is pretty powerful

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @Anonymous

Go into the Power Query Editor, select your first three columns in the preview grid and then hit the "Unpivot other columns" button.

This should pivot your month column data around onto rows where it will be much easier to work within your charts

image.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Phil_Seamark Thats great. thank you. But I have one other issue here. In the below image, other than qunatity as attribute, I have other facts like revenue which is where having chanllenge on reporting on quantity , revenue separately. Highly Appreciate your help! ThanksCapture.JPG

HI @Anonymous

One way would be to make two copies of this table in Power Query.  Filter the first where the attribute column contains the text "-Qty" and filter the other where the attribute column contains the text "-Revenue".

Then you can merge the tables (horizontally) using a full outer join and match on the first three columns.  This should give you something pretty close to what you need. 🙂

Power Query is pretty powerful

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.