Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RehanSaeed
Frequent Visitor

How Much Content Should You Put on Power BI Desktop Tabs

I am using Power BI Embedded. I have created a .pbix file containing a few tabs worth of visualizations. Each tab contains a TimeLine visualization so I can select timer periods along with several charts and maps.

This arrangement looks good in Power BI Desktop. When I publish the .pbix file to the Power BI website, each tab can be pinned to a dashboard. Pinning a dozen visualizations does not seem to make much sense and seems to suggest that the real idea behind it is to not have many visualizations on each tab and allow the user to pin the visuals they are really interested in. The Power BI presentations I've seen also seems to do this.

My report would end up with dozens of tabs which could get very unwieldy in Power BI Desktop. Is there a right way to go about this? Is there some guidance from Microsoft or a few examples I can look at? How does this affect Power BI Embedded?

I also asked this question on StackOverflow.

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@RehanSaeed

What do you mean about "My report would end up with dozens of tabs which could get very unwieldy in Power BI Desktop"? Could you be more precisely with your requirement?Smiley Happy

Regards

I mean if I had one or two charts per tab (to let you pin single charts and have more control over what is pinned), then you would end up with a large number of tabs in Power BI Desktop.

You can have as many charts as you like on a tab. The key, I would say, is to maximize interactivity through the use of filter, slicers, & drill-downs as well as ensure that each chart on a tab adds value. 

I work to ensure there is a clear purpose for each tab. E.g. I might have a tab to say how sales are doing. I have a single chart that's bigger and conveys that message, along with slicers (e.g. to slice by product or timeframe), and a few smaller supporting charts (that break down sales by region for example).

For pinning, you can pin either the entire tab or just individual charts from a tab. It sounds like you're doing the former, since you talk about minimizing the number of visuals on the tab. I lean towards the latter (since clicking on a chart will bring the user to the full tab anyway). I use pinned charts as a way to bring out the important metric from a report and make it front & center. E.g. I might have a report that allows you to dig into who is buying what, but I only pin the overall Sales number to my dashboard. If the sales number looks too low (or high), the end-user can click on it to get the full report and discover why.

When you pin a chart, the chart is pinned with all the slicers/filters currently in effect. So I only need one chart with a slicer for the store and I can pin "store sales" for any individual store by simply changing the slicer and pinning. I don't need a separate tab for each store. (Make sure to rename the pinned visual so you remember which store it is for.)

Pinning is only for dashboards, and my understanding is that Power BI Embedded only embeds reports (i.e. what's on your canvas). There is no pinning, and no dashboards, in Power BI Embedded.

Does this help answer your question?

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.