Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LimpingWolf68
Regular Visitor

Help needed with complicated (?) waterfall chart

Hi all,

I'm working on a waterfall chart in PowerBI and since I'm relatively new in PowerBI I have been looking on the internet/YouTube for solutions, but I'm stuck. Maybe some one might be able to help me out.

I have a table with registered hours of crew. These hours are marked so we can analyse the type of 'work' that has been done. We have billable hours, leave, non-productional hours, non billable productional hours.

Each employee starts with so called 'workable hours'. These hours are deducted with 'leave', which results in 'available' hours. These available hours consist of 'billable hours', 'non-billable productional hours' and 'non-productional hours'. What's left we call 'undertime' or in case it's more than what was availble it's 'overtime'. 

I want to use a waterfall chart to show the following progression for a group of people. The hours are registered by person, but I have created measure for all mentioned hours below (so measures for workable, leave, available, etcetera):
'workable hours' > minus 'leave' > results in 'available hours', these are divided in 'billable, 'nob-billable productional', 'non-productional' and 'undertime'/'overtime'

How to proceed? Hope some one is able to help based on what I have explained 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Not sure if a waterfall chart is the right visualization type. A table visual may be more useful.

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

Hi, thanks for your input.

I can only provide you with screenshots for now. The first screenshot shows what I'm supposed to create, but I'm not sure if it will be possible with Power Bi (I think it was created in Excel, possibly with stacked bars). I have found a solution on the internet, but I'm kind of stuck. The second screenshot shows what I have managed to create. As you can see the order of the categories is not correct, although I have used 'sort by column' and the index column I created for the categories. There seems to be something wrong with the values as well. 

The third part shows the values I have used.

I might go with stacked bars if the waterfall doesn't work. I might have to check with the person that provided me the first screenshot.

1. Example of what I have to create
LimpingWolf68_0-1714936497989.png
2. Example of what I managed so far

LimpingWolf68_1-1714936603882.png

3. Script used to create the 'values'

Uren bridge =

Var Verlof = [Verlof (minus SU)]

Var WerkbareUren = [Werkbare uren]

Var Facturabel = [Facturabel]

Var DirectNietFacturabel = [Direct niet facturabel]

Var Indirect = [Indirect (ex verlof)]

Var Onderuren = [Onderuren]

RETURN

SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Start bridge'[Index]),

SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Categorie uren'[Categorie]),

"Verlof", 1*Verlof,

"Werkbaar", 1*WerkbareUren,

"Facturabel", -1*Facturabel,

"Direct NF", -1*DirectNietFacturabel,

"Indirect", -1*Indirect,

"Onderuren", -1*Onderuren,

[Normuren]

),

SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Categorie uren'[Categorie]),

"Verlof", 0,

"Werkbaar", 0,

"Facturabel", 0,

"Direct NF", 0,

"Indirect", 0,

"Onderuren", 0,

[Gerealiseerd (ex verlof)]

)

)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.