Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tiago
Helper I
Helper I

[HELP] YTD over the Years and MTD over the months

Hi there,

I’ve read the forums for couple hours trying to find this but the solutions I’ve found didn’t work.

Total Sales = SUM(Sales[SALE])

(works)

Total Sales YTD = TOTALYTD(Sales[Total Sales],'Sales'[DATE])

(When I do this for some reason I get the same value as Total Sales)

Total Sales YTD Last Year = CALCULATE([Total Sales YTD],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('date'[date]) (It just returns the Last Year YTD for 2017, I needed for all other years)

I'am using direct query and I am using as source a view that I've created on SQL the name of the VIEW is 'Sales'. It basically have all sales grouped by day for the last 7 years. What I wanted to archive is to have a dynamic field that will compare all years YTD and I would like to do the same thing for MTD.

Something like this

Sales YTD (01/01 - 19/06)
2012 $     1.000.000,00
2013 $     1.125.000,00
2014 $     1.250.000,00
2015 $     1.375.000,00
2016 $     1.500.000,00
2017 $     1.625.000,00
2018 $     1.750.000,00

Sales MTD (01/06 - 19/06)
jun/12 $           80.000,00
jun/13 $           85.000,00
jun/14 $           90.000,00
jun/15 $           95.000,00
jun/16 $        100.000,00
jun/17 $        105.000,00
jun/18 $        110.000,00

Any Ideas how to do this on PBI ?

Regards,

Tiago

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend building measures as they turn into a field and you should have no trouble with charts.

First, you will need to incorporate a Date/Calendar table. That's a completely different topic if you do not have one. 

Then, you will need to make an aggrigation Measure for any numbers you want to show Prior Periods. 

In Example, I have Sales in the Database. I need to make an aggrigation measure of Sales from our "Order_Line_Invoice" table.

SalesSUM = SUM(Order_Line_Invoice[Sales])

Measure for Prior Year is created by this:

SalesPY =
CALCULATE (
Order_Line_Invoice[SalesSum],
SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Dates_INV[Date]))

I can then pull in the current YTD and pull in SalesPY and get that column results that move with the current time frame being reported.

BONUS: I assume you may want to show change from prior year. Here you go (using my actual code):

SalesPY_Change = IF(ISBLANK([SalesPY]), BLANK(),[SalesSUM]-[SalesPY]) 

This addresses a null value in the prior year and will not show the change then. If you want that you will need to remove the "BLANK" function from the formula. leaving SalesPY_Change = [SalesSUM]-[SalesPY]) 

Here is the location of such DAX Functions:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/time-intelligence-functions-dax

It seems like alot but remember: once a measure is created it becomes very useful as it reads the dates for you (instead of creating a hard coded time reference).  I make report templates that are then used for queries and reports. That template contans many Measures and aggrigation functions making ad hoc reporting fast and FUN TOO! Enjoy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The YTD kind of measure works for one year , so for each year ( FOr current year, last year, previous to last year etc ) you should have a seperate measure. The below idea may help you.

Sales_YTD(2018)=CALCULATE(SUM(Sales_Fact.Sales),DATESYTD(Dates[Date]))

Sales_LastYear=CALCULATE(SUM(Sales_Fact.Sales),DATEADD(Dates[Date],-1,YEAR) // this will be used below.

Sales_LYTD(2017)=CALCULATE(Sales_LastYear,DATESYTD(Dates[Date]))

Sales_LLYear_2016=CALCULATE(SUM(Sales_Fact.Sales),DATEADD(Dates[Date],-2,YEAR) // this will be used below.

Sales_LLYTD(2016) = CALCULATE(Sales_LLYear_2016,DATESYTD(Dates[Date]))

The last 2 steps should be repeated for the earlier years. Same logic applies to MTD as well.

Thanks
Raj

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for the help, I will give it a try.

Still wonder how with 6 diffrent measures how i will be able to show a simple graph with sales evolution.

I wanted to do something automatic, that after each day it would calculate differently. Like a date filter for all years. from 1st of January until today() -1, something like this is possible ?

And try to do the samething for the MTD. on the current month get from the 1st day of the month until today()-1 and get all previous years...

Hi guys, 

Is there a way to do something like a I said on my previous menssage? Instead of creating mutiple measures to create a filter formula to get the dates form 1st of January until today()-1 for all years. 

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.