Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sb48846
Frequent Visitor

Getting rename error on each calculated column in power BI desktop

Hi,

Recently i am seeing "Rename Column" error on each calculated column for every table in PBI dekstop file when i click on dax calcualted coumns in table view. I could not get the root cause of this error and some time column name automatically changing to Table name. I appreciate any help on it. 

Rename column Error on Date Check dax column once i moved from this column.

Date Check DAX function : 

Date Check = IF('Table - Calendar'[Date].[Date] <= TODAY()-3,"Y","N")

sb48846_0-1711017757571.png

Column Change to Table Name:

sb48846_1-1711018327744.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maybe install January again until they fix the issue

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
cpfipowerbiuser
Regular Visitor

i am also experiencing the same issue

sb48846
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Joe_Barry 

I have used DAX function to create table first:  Table - Calendar = Calendar( Date(2021, 1, 1), Date(2025,12,31)).

Do you mean i should not create "Date Check" column with following formula in date table?.  

Date Check = IF('Table - Calendar'[Date].[Date] <= TODAY()-3,"Y","N")

I am getting same error across alll calculated columns in other tables.

Thanks,

Suman.

Joe_Barry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Has your PBI Desktop been updated recently? Please check this, depending on your area you should have at least the Feb. 2024 version installed.  Check your version. File>About and it will tell you there.  Then Activate any preview features that you need File > Preview Features. Save the file and then restart.

Yes, I have Feb version. Following preview features are there but still getting same error.

sb48846_0-1711023361478.png

Joe_Barry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I haven't seen behaviour like this before. It's quite difficult to help without seeing the PBIX.

To troubleshoot, have you tried copying the dataset to another new PBIX? Maybe just the date table and see if the issue still occurs. 

I just found this article too, https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/quot-The-name-x-is-already-used-for-a-column-on-ta...

It seems that there is an issue with the February release, possible solution https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/quot-The-name-x-is-already-used-for-a-column-on-ta... 

Maybe install January again until they fix the issue

Joe_Barry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @sb48846 

Calendar is a Table function and won't create a column as a conditional column CALENDAR function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Thanks

Joe

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.