Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

Final Calculated Column is displaying incorrect results. (Example .pbix file included)

I have "Merged" various columns from 3 tables into a table called "Table: All Absence Details".

I then created a "Table Visual" using columns (including "Absence Start Date") from the table "Table: All Absence Details" and also created Some calculated columns in the same table. These columns are prefixed with "C_" and can be found in the "Table: All Absence Details" table container.

I then created a "Slicer" using the column "Absence Start Date (same as the slicer). This filtered the table visual as expected.

The problem is, when I add the final caculated column called "C_11) Absence KPI" that checks the values of the othger calculated columns and either displays "KPI Met" or KPI Breached", it gives incorrect results.

As an example, the below should be "KPI Met", but its not working.

C_11) Absence KPI = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table: All Absence Details'[Fully Backfilled]) = "Yes", "KPI Met", "KPI Breached"

StuartSmith_0-1692604221612.png

I have tried using measures instead of Calculated columns and this then stops the table visual from filtering, so I am completely confused.  You can also find measures with the prefix "M_" in the "Table: All Absence Details" table container.

As you can see both tables using Calculated Columns "C_" or Measures "M_" initially display ok, although the Caclculate Columns tables doesnt display the correct values for final Calculated Column called "C_11) Absence KPI" is add and the Measure table filters incorrectly when a date is selected from the slicer, but displays the correct results when "M_11) Absence KPI" is added.

StuartSmith_1-1692605457761.png

Ultimately, I just want a table visual that displays the desired columns and filters.

Calcualted Columns vs Measure 

Thanks in advance and sorry about the length of the post 🙄 but have tried to breakdown into easy chunks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@StuartSmith , A calculated column can not use slicer values a measure can, you have to create a measure

Absence KPI = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table: All Absence Details'[Fully Backfilled]) = "Yes", "KPI Met", "KPI Breached")

In case you need a slicer on that, you need segmentation 

very similar to this one

Customer Retention with Dynamic Segmentation, New/Lost/Retain Customer Count: https://youtu.be/EyL7KMw877Q

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

I feel I over complicated this question and made the post way too long (TLDR).  I have reposted the question, but simplified it down to a couple of lines, instead of a novel.  😴

New question can be found here: Why does measure stop filtering and creates additional rows 

StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

I'm still trying to figure this out. I have the table visual with all the column displaying and filtering apart from the "Absence KPI" measure because as soon as I add that measure, the table visual rows increases and I dont understand why.  

Can someone please take a look at the attached updated file and explain to me why it is doing this and how I can get around it. 

StuartSmith_0-1692615851216.png

Thanks in advance.

Calculated Columns vs Measure Updated.pbix 

Can anyone please help with why the table visual stops filtering AND adds lots of rows once I add the "Absence KPI".  I am total lost.

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@StuartSmith , A calculated column can not use slicer values a measure can, you have to create a measure

Absence KPI = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table: All Absence Details'[Fully Backfilled]) = "Yes", "KPI Met", "KPI Breached")

In case you need a slicer on that, you need segmentation 

very similar to this one

Customer Retention with Dynamic Segmentation, New/Lost/Retain Customer Count: https://youtu.be/EyL7KMw877Q

Thanks Amit, I had already tried the measure approach you suggested, and that gives the desired results, but then the silcer filter doesn't filter the table visual.  I will take a look at your link.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.