Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SergioTorrinha
Resolver II
Resolver II

Filtering Wide Aggregation Table - How to ?

Hi everyone!

I have been working with PBI, practically since the start in 2015, and at this point I'm quite used to build my reports based on a star schema data model, because I know very well this is the best practice within PBI (and I would dare to say, within the current analytcs landscape... but this is another topic 👺).
However, there are specific scenarios that I'd like to learn how to address better, so I can comply to the requests that are thrown at me. 😎

With this in mind, I never knew very well how to deal with large and wide factual aggregated tables and the multiple filtering scenarios that report stakeholders, would like to be able to do on top of  numeric fields/columns from such tables.

Giving an example, when the table is very wide, let's say, for instance, 50 numeric fields and 6 categorical fields, recorded by one or more ID field/columns, how would one properly address the fact that the report stackeholders want to filter the table by 15 of those field/columns and present, in a dashboard, a matrix/table visual with some of the table information?  
Is there a 'best way' on how to design the data model in order to deal with this?
To clarify:

- of course that one could 'go back' and re-design the data model, in order to normalize the aggregated factual table and have a star schema in place, but the report requirement is really to filter data by the aggregated table numeric fields which is hard to do, I beleive, with the normalized data.

- table schema/structure/columns would be something like this:
id_field1 | ... | id_field4 | decimal_field_1 | ... | decimal_field_50 | categorical_field_1 | ... | categorical_field_6

Well, I hope my message isn't very confusing, otherwise please do let me know, and I'll do my best to explain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
SergioTorrinha
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Sahir_Maharaj !

Thanks for your feedback.
Perhaps I wasn't so clear in my explanation, but what I'm having an hard time with, isn't really in establishing an dynamic metric, but more like on how to design a data model that wouldpropperly respond to a scenario where report stakeholders would like to do arround 40 - 50 indivual filtering on top of a single wide table.
Perhaps you meant something else, in between the lines, and I didn't get it. Please accept my apologies if that's the case and, kindly, let me know exactly what you had in mind, perhaps?

Thank you.

Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @SergioTorrinha,

Here's a conceptual example to apply dynamic filtering that responds to the selection.

Dynamic Filter Measure = 
VAR SelectedField = SELECTEDVALUE(FieldSelectionTable[FieldName], "decimal_field_1")
VAR FilterValue = 100 // This could be dynamically set through another mechanism, like a parameter
RETURN
    SWITCH(
        SelectedField,
        "decimal_field_1", CALCULATE(SUM(Table[decimal_field_1]), Table[decimal_field_1] > FilterValue),
        "decimal_field_2", CALCULATE(SUM(Table[decimal_field_2]), Table[decimal_field_2] > FilterValue),
        "decimal_field_50", CALCULATE(SUM(Table[decimal_field_50]), Table[decimal_field_50] > FilterValue),
        BLANK()
    )

Just a note - Performance might be impacted with very wide tables and complex dynamic measures, especially on large datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.