Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DonIncognito
Frequent Visitor

Extremely slow refresh times with Snowflake

I have a .pbix file that queries a Snowflake database using import mode. When refreshing the data of any table, it pulls back rows extremely slow, to the point where I can see that its doing it at about 35 rows per second. Its truely dreadful. 

I can then copy the exact same file to a VM I have running locally (ie, not in the cloud) and when I refresh the data there, it performs as expected and is very fast. To me, that means there is something on my computer that is causing the issue. I have uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled PBI desktop 64 bit version using the latest installer off the MS website, but even after that, it was still painfully slow. I have also cleared the cache options. Connecting to a local SQL server on the desktop has fast refresh times. 

I am pretty sure that it didnt actually clear out any back end registry settings either, because I was still logged in when I opened up the new version. 

Is there any other way I can completely wipe the settings used by powerbi desktop, that isnt a full format and reinstall? Is there anything else I should be doing to resolve this? 

4 REPLIES 4
DonIncognito
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that. 

I dont have any VPNs or proxies on my device, and the same firewall is running over both the VM and my device. I also checked with the guy sitting next to me, and he can refresh at full speed using the same .pbix file, so its not something specific to the VM. i dont believe there is a network policy in effect, because i can connect, its just very slow. If I go through the snowflake UI, its all at a normal (fast) speed. 

HI @DonIncognito,

Where the VM hosts? Did it installed on local device or host on the cloud VM platform?

If you mean cloud VM platform, they may cause the delay on network connection if it hosts on the different data region with the data source. (operation steps: device <-> VM <- platform -> data source)

In addition, the refresh performance also related to the VM network bandwidth and corresponding platform gateway, security and network settings/configurations.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Its not a VM issue. The guy sitting next to me can refresh at full speeds using the same .pbix, and he is not using a VM. The VMs are not cloud hosted either, they are on prem. 

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DonIncognito,

If this scenario only appears when you connect to the specific remote data source, you can try to check the firewall and correspond data source network settings and policy if they block or limit the ports that request used.

Network Policies | Snowflake Documentation

In addition, have you enabled any VPN or proxy setting on your device? They may also affect the connection and requests.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.