Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LoredanaC
Frequent Visitor

Extract data from API into Power BI

Hello!

Please help me. How can I extract data from Portfolio_URL. If a add a custom column and use web.Contents formula it's bring me a new Column with Binary Result, but after that I don't know what I have to do. Please help me.

LoredanaC_0-1710507034877.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LoredanaC ,

1.Parse the Binary Data: After you've added a custom column with the formula and received binary data, you'll need to parse this binary data. You can use the function to convert the binary JSON response into a list or record. For example, add a new step to transform the column. Replace with the name of your column containing the binary  data.

Web.ContentsJson.Document= Table.TransformColumns(#"Previous Step", {{"YourColumnName", each Json.Document(_), type record}})"YourColumnName"

2.Expand the Data: If the JSON document is a record (similar to a dictionary or an object in other programming languages), you might need to expand this to get to the individual fields. Use the option in the Power Query Editor to do this. If the JSON document is a list of records, you might first need to convert it to a table using the function or the button in the Power Query Editor, and then expand the records.

Expand ColumnTable.FromListTo Table

3.Load the Data: Once you have expanded the data into a format that Power BI can work with, you can then load it into your Power BI model for further analysis and visualization.

You can refer to the similar posts that may be helpful to you: 

How to pull data from Web API into PowerBI using A... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Web.Contents with more than one URL - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to get data from REST API (JSON) in Power BI? - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

LoredanaC
Frequent Visitor

Please help. How can I extract the xlsx tables from this list of URL? I have been obtained this list of URLs. I have a column with multiple rows containing lists of URLs. Thanks!Screenshot 2024-03-15 211442.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.